VMware Horizon Community
accutechdata
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing the ThinApp Program

Hello everyone,

I've downloaded a trial of ThinApp and I just had one question.  I've created a virtual "clean" workstation running Windows XP that I'll be using to capture my applications and I've taken a snapshot of it.  I'm not sure if I need to install ThinApp on that machine though.  Do I install ThinApp on my machine and then scan the remote "clean" computer, or do I install ThinApp on the "clean" computer and run the application capture process locally?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You need to install ThinApp on the clean machine to capture applications.

To save time, it is suggested to run the ThinApp until 'Prescan' is completed and then take a snapshot of it. This is because whenever you revert the snapshot for ThinApping new applications, you will be ready with prescan, just install the new application and continue the ThinApp capture process.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You need to install ThinApp on the clean machine to capture applications.

To save time, it is suggested to run the ThinApp until 'Prescan' is completed and then take a snapshot of it. This is because whenever you revert the snapshot for ThinApping new applications, you will be ready with prescan, just install the new application and continue the ThinApp capture process.

0 Kudos
accutechdata
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent...thank you.

On that note...we're running in a mixed environment with Windows XP and Windows 7, I noticed that the install guide recommends using the earliest version of the OS for the capture but will I have to make any changes for the captured applications that will be running on both environments?

0 Kudos
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

As per the best practices, it would be better if you install ThinApp on some machine (other than capture machine), then share the "VMware ThinApp" folder on that machine, so that you can acces it on the clean capture machine. This link mught be helpful: http://vimeo.com/31457940 .

Thanks.

Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You might have too. For applications that are captured on XP and are to be deployed on Win7, this link seems to be addressing this scenario: http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/08/captured-on-xp---running-on-win-7.html

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes it is recommended to use the lowest OS, in your case Windows XP.

Most of the time, the ThinApp captured on XP will be running on XP and Win 7 without any issues. Sometimes, there may be problems running the ThinApp on Win 7 for different reasons (example: native application is not supported on Win 7).

You can follow this blog to overcome those problems:

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2011/04/making-windows-xp-only-apps-run-on-windows-7.html