VMware Horizon Community
petere74
Contributor
Contributor

How can you deploy a ThinApp version of visio without breaking the per device license?

Hello, if I create a ThinApp of visio how can I stop unlicesed clients accessing it?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Theike
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

With ThinApp 'unlicensed client' is a little vague:

Every user/system that starts the virtualised application requires a license, but there is no 'on forehand' limitation on this. You have to ensure you stay within the in the EULA and ordered license counts.

If you want to rephrase the question to: How do I prevent my app is used on non-company managed systems there are some ways:

The simplest one is to 'just' add the Domain users-group from your AD to the 'PermittedGroups'-setting in the package.ini. Please check the user manual on how to use. (tip: use the SID-value) This prevents leaking the virtualised application from your managed network (where you own licenses for)

Alternatively you could include some more advanced licensing tools, which check and limit the access and starting of applications. Software like the one from http://www.softwarekey.com/ could be your solution.

In general: Applications that require your server backend will not be 'borrowed' for home usage, as most users don't have your company infrastructure at home. It is more the 'generic' handy applications (like office, Adobe CS4,...) which tend in this direction.

I hope this helps. My first advise would be: add the domain users-group. We found it mostly solving the issues. Additionally we use a desktop manager which hides most of the deployment of applications from users, raising the bar of drive by borrowing.

Kind regards,

Michael Baars - Comprehensive ICT Solutions (NL)

Please remember to mark the post answered if so and reward points to those who helped you...

Michael Baars - Comprehensive ICT Solutions (NL, Weert) (Remember to mark the post answered and reward points to those who helped you...)
0 Kudos