VMware Horizon Community
spence15
Contributor
Contributor

Having trouble with log monitor on Windows 7 for Virtual IE6

I created a relatively simple virtual IE6 package using the new feature in ThinApp 4.6.

- I started with a Windows XP SP2 Gold VM

- Ran setup capture and clicked the button for IE 6

- Launched IE 6 and browsed to banner.utoledo.edu

- Allowed the ActiveX control to automatically install (Oracle JInitiator 1.3.1.22)

- Rebooted the system and completed the capture

Everything works great on XP systems. When I run the virtual browser on Windows 7 most websites work great with one exception: banner.utoledo.edu completely crashes the virtual browser. The page tries to load and I simply get an error message stating that Internet Explorer has stopped working and Windows is searching for a solution.

I tried to run Log Monitor to see what was occurring when the crash happens. The strange thing is that when log monitor is running, it all but freezes the virtual IE6 process. Task manager shows that IE6 is using most of the CPU and the log file being generated spins out of control (hundreds of MB in a minute or two). If I close log monitor everything starts working normally again.

I'm not sure where to go from here to troubleshoot this issue so if anyone has any suggestions I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

spence

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBigSaxon
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar issue with Jinitiator.  I wish support was a bit better.

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In order to get Jinitiator to work on Windows 7 try replacing the JVM.dll found in %ProgramFilesDir%\Oracle\JInitiator 1.3.1.22\bin\hotspot\ in your project folder with the one from Java version 1.5.1.

Hope it works for you, please let us know..

0 Kudos
TheBigSaxon
Contributor
Contributor

I used the JVM from 1.5.15 and it worked like a charm.  I did discover from the App-V guys that you have to use the JVM.dll from JRE 1.5.10 or later... the same instabilities that are in Jinit 1.3.x exist in JRE until Update 10.

I'm still having a slight issue with making sure that IE GPO's are completely isolated... getting better but it's still not perfect and installing the Java JAR files requries Admin rights, even in the sandbox.

0 Kudos