VMware Horizon Community
johndiaz
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone successfully ThinApp'd SPSS 19?

I've copied an earlier discussion below that explains the issue but have not seen a fix. Thanks The only problem we still get after starting SPSS 19 (Site License) is a Java error: Java Virtual Machine Launcher Could not find the main class: org.eclipse.core.Launcher.Main. Program will exit After clicking OK the application starts up without any problems..... + + +  Denk aan het milieu voor u besluit deze mail te printen  + + + Reply BorisAcker 6 posts since Mar 11, 2009 Currently Being Moderated 3. Nov 26, 2010 1:27 AM  in response to: ZTMTAB Re: Problems with Thinapp package SPSS 19 You could try directing the Java cache (see control panel applet) to the application folder.... I had a similar problem because my application data folder was redirected Reply DCasota 215 posts since Mar 7, 2006 Currently Being Moderated 4. Dec 1, 2010 2:23 AM  in response to: BorisAcker Re: Problems with Thinapp package SPSS 19 Hi We have the same problem (error "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" : "Could not find the main class: org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main"). We changed the java cache path to c:\temp and tried different isolation modes (IE8 is natively installed in windows xp platform). Nevertheless the error occurred. Any ideas? Daniel Reply BorisAcker 6 posts since Mar 11, 2009 Currently Being Moderated 5. Dec 1, 2010 2:44 AM  in response to: DCasota Re: Problems with Thinapp package SPSS 19 Have you tried including the Java cache path in the path of SPSS? e.g instead of using C:\temp use c:\program files\spss,..\javacache OR c:\program files\javacache and include this into the package (directory isolation mode = FULL) point to this location through the controlpanel applet for java while in setup capture I'll try this myself too,.. and i'll get back on this Good luck Reply DCasota 215 posts since Mar 7, 2006 Currently Being Moderated 6. Dec 1, 2010 4:46 AM  in response to: BorisAcker Re: Problems with Thinapp package SPSS 19 After the installation (and before the snapshot) I've started the javacpl.exe and redirected the cache directory to c:\programme\ibm\spss\statistics\19\JRE\javacache. I've created before the Javacache directory and set it afterwards with isolation mode full. Nevertheless the error occurred again. I've noticed that some folders in the capture are strange: - %Drive_C% has a subfolder "Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Application Data\SPSS". I think the SPSS subfolder should point directly to %Common AppData%. - %Profile% has a subfolder Application Data\Eclipse. This one should point to %Appdata%. - %ProgramFilesDir% has a subfolder "Common files\IBM". This one should point to %Program Files Common%. It's a german windows xp platform. Maybethere are some language related obstacles why some directories are not stored in the capture where they should be. Did someone had some similar issues? Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread. Nachricht geändert durch DCasota Reply toca1337 73 posts since Jul 11, 2008 Currently Being Moderated 7. Dec 14, 2010 12:35 AM  in response to: BorisAcker Re: Problems with Thinapp package SPSS 19 I, too, am experiencing with this dreaded bug wih ThinApp 4.6 and SPSS 19.0 (error "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" : "Could not find the main class: org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main) I was able to virtualize without the Java bug using SPSS 18.0, so something is amiss about SPSS 19.0 in handling JAVA VM since both SPSS versions are based on JVM. I am also thinking that both ThinApp 4.5 and 4.6 fail horribly and frequently with any software that calls for Java. Somehow, both ThinApp versions do not handle well at all in capturing JAVA/JVM. It seems that Thinstall (the oldie) is better apt in looking this. This is most odd. Help? Reply toca1337 73 posts since Jul 11, 2008 Currently Being Moderated 8. Dec 28, 2010 11:55 AM  in response to: ZTMTAB Re: Problems with Thinapp package SPSS 19 Can someone else please reply to this thread with some suggestion? I have tried all the suggestions listed above, but it is not working. I am very disappointed of late of how ThinApp 4.6 handles Java/JRE used in target applications.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ipsy
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here.

Tried to T'stalld Spss 19 several times with different settings and tweaks

but the problem still exist.

Will try using Spoon studio later...

0 Kudos
pieterheijms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We ThinApped SPSS 19 correctly.

- We used ThinApp 4.6.1

- Before we start the ThinApp we make a directory "C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics\19", otherwise we get the error "Error "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" : "Could not find the main class: org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main).". We use RES Wisdom, but you can create a vbs script in ThinApp.

I think this will solve your problem.

Good luck!

Pieter Heijms

0 Kudos
mariogroleau
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have no more success with Thinapp 4.6.2, I use a network licence for IBM SPSS 19

0 Kudos
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The error message "Error "Java Virtual Machine Launcher" : "Could not find the main class: org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main)." is displayed by the javaw.exe process. This happens because the current directory is not set properly in the Process Environment Block of this process. I have fixed this issue and it would available in the ThinApp 4.7 release.

0 Kudos
toca1337
Contributor
Contributor

Pankaj1, you are awesome!

ThinApp 4.7 indeed fixed this problem that has been plaguing this for over 1 year! Well done, VMware!

Will this fix address the general problem of ThinApp'ing applications that heavily uses JAVA JRE? For example, SAS is known to have this problem with JAVA, such that the captured application will miss all functionalities related to JAVA (like graphics).

0 Kudos
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am glad that 4.7 works for you.

>>Will this fix address the general problem of ThinApp'ing applications that heavily uses JAVA JRE? For example, SAS is known to have this problem with JAVA, such that the captured application will miss all functionalities related to JAVA (like graphics).

It's hard for me to say whether this would fix the other JAVA related issues or not, though I think it's totally worth to test those issues with 4.7 build.

Thanks.

0 Kudos