VMware Horizon Community
BearHuntr
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone Thinapped the WSUS admin console?

I've been trying to Thinapp (with 4.6.1) the WSUS admin console and have been running into problems.  The install consists of .NET 2, Windows Report Viewer Redistributable 2008, and then WSUS 3.0 SP2 admin console only.  I had some inital build problems, but that was fixed by copying the package directly to a local drive and running the build from there.  Now, when I try to run the finished exe, I get an error in the console about the MMC not being able to create the snap-in.  Has anyone been able to get this to work and what did you do to build it successfully?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just did to see if I could help you.

Here's how I got it to work. Add the following to your package.ini then rebuild.

[mmc.exe]

Source=%SystemSystem%\mmc.exe

Shortcut=wsus2.dat <--- or whatever your package name is.

CommandLine=%SystemSystem%\mmc.exe

Also, you might want to to package the report viewer separately and then link.  It will make your troubleshooting easier.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

I don't think it's possible to virtualize MMC with newest ThinApp.

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ondrej I wasn't guessing with my answer above. I spent a lot of time testing it. Try it for yourself.

0 Kudos
BRiley1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Brad's method is exactly how I got it to work as well.

Let us know how it works for you.

0 Kudos
BearHuntr
Contributor
Contributor

I tried Brad's suggestion and it created the mmc.exe in the bin directory, but I still get the same error when running the WSUS exe.  Any ideas on what I can do to troubleshoot?  I'm not very familiar with the best techniques on troubleshooting a Thinapp build.

0 Kudos
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First, which platform did you originally thinapp from?  I did mine on plain xp pro (no service packs).  WSUS thinapped runs on XP and windows 7

Did you capture and use the.dat instead of a single .exe?  I did the .exe the first time and it failed.  So I had to recapture and set the project to export a .dat file type of build.

Then I went in and added the mmc.exe lines to the project.ini.  If you did this, then I am also curious what is causing the error.  But first, I want to make sure that is what you did.

0 Kudos
BearHuntr
Contributor
Contributor

The capture machine is a clean XP Pro SP3 and I used the .dat file in the build.  The install file was WSUS30-KB972455-x86.exe, which I believe represents WSUS 3.0 SP2.  I do have the SP1 file as well if that is better.  I would rather have the most current if possible.  I will probably try to rebuild it from scratch again to make sure that I didn't miss anything.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Cool it works. Could you make working plain mmc console in ThinApp?

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could you make working plain mmc console in ThinApp?

Ondrej is that a question to me or the original poster? I want to make sure I am answering the right question.

By the way, MMC seems very stable across platforms. WSUS failed when I tried my original on 64bit Win 7 but mmc worked fine. ( I have not done any troubleshooting at all on 64bit yet.)

0 Kudos
pwilson2005
Contributor
Contributor

Brad100,

How do you link WSUS and the Report Viewer?

0 Kudos