VMware Horizon Community
Ricky76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excel 2003 Thinapp vs Excel 2007 local

Hi!

I have ADI in thinapp that link with Excel 2003. My problem is when my excel 2007 local is open, ADI take Excel 2007 and not Excel 2003. Do you know how to force a package to use Excel 2003 thinapp and not my Excel 2007 local?

Thank

Eric Boutin

Analyste

Direction des ressources informationnelles et matérielles
Ville de Longueuil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Along with the DAT file, you must have atleast one entry point EXE to run the Applink.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I guess Excel 2007 is natively installed on the machine before using the Excel 2003 ThinApp.

How are you deploying Excel 2003 ThinApp?

1. If you are using MSI, it will automatically register the ThinApp, thereby the file associations (.xls) will be overwritten from Excel 2007 to 2003.

2. If using EXE, have you tried registering the ThinApp using THINREG utility? This will do the file association for you.

0 Kudos
Ricky76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My Excel 2003 is thinapp and my dat file is on the network.

ADI should call my dat file for Excel but use Excel 2007 if it open. But if Excel 2007 is close, ADI call Excel 2003.

Thank for your help.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Please register the ThinApp using ThinReg utility which is available along with the ThinApp under C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware ThinApp\thinreg.exe

Here is a simple use of ThinReg:

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/04/simple-thinregexe-login-script.html

0 Kudos
Ricky76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can't register DAT files with thinreg, only exe file.

My program ADI has as required app link Microsoft Excel 2003.dat 

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can register the entry point EXE of the DAT file using ThinReg. Or you can use MSI to install the Applink that will register it for you.

Installing the Applink using MSI goes to Programfiles folder, so you can modify the required Applink path in the package.ini accordingly.

Check if that helps.

0 Kudos
Ricky76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem is that my folder on the network contains only the dat file. I think that I go install excel 2003 (Thinapp) on the computer with a MSI as you said.

Thank!

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Along with the DAT file, you must have atleast one entry point EXE to run the Applink.

0 Kudos
Ricky76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Often we just put the dat file in the network folder as requirement. It's possible to disabled all entry point. My package Excel 2003 don't have PermittedGroups. If I enabled the exe file, each user go to have Excel. The solution is to push Excel with a MSI on the computer.

0 Kudos