VMware Horizon Community
paula2
Contributor
Contributor

Discarding writes in ThinApp

I'm currently trying to find out if ThinApp will allow us to run an old legacy app we're using for people who don't have administrator rights.

One of the problems with this application is that it has a 3GB big file in %programfiles%, and that it does completely irrelevant write operations to that file. It only changes a few bytes occasionally, and doesn't care at all whether you revert the changes between runs, but if it isn't able to do the write, it will crash.

To allow this to run in ThinApp, I packaged the application and set the directoryisolationmode to "Full" to virtualize that write. Now it runs properly without administrator access, but runs into a completely different problem, namely that it now creates a copy of that 3GB file in %appdata% for every user account on every PC it runs, trashing the hard drive full of duplicate data, and messing with roaming profiles.

What I would like to do is to tell ThinApp to discard this data like nonpersistant drives do in VMware. Thinapp would allow the application to write to its files, and pretend everything is working, but as soon as the application is closed, the modified data is thrown away. I had a look in the manual and searched the forums but there seems to be no such setting, i.e. "DirectoryIsolationMode=DiscardWrites" or something like that.

Is what I'm trying to do possible?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Hi,

ThinApp creates Sandbox (by default, under %appdata%\Thinstall\AppName) to store the customization of the application.

If you would like to discard the changes done to the sandbox during closing the application, please uncomment the below line in the package.ini (by removing the ; at the beginning) and rebuild the package by running build.bat file

;RemoveSandboxOnExit=1

Doing this, it will delete the sandbox when the application is closed. Please try this and post the results.

0 Kudos
paula2
Contributor
Contributor

Ah thanks, that worked. I put the folders I want to keep as Merged isolation mode, and used your setting to discard everything else.

0 Kudos