VMware Horizon Community
Rolly
Contributor
Contributor

DVDFab EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION when built with 4.0.4 (but not 4.0.3). Why?

My problem:

If I build DVDFab HD Decrypter with ThinApp 4.0.4, the executable fails to run. In the trace log, I see this:

009743 0000 09e4 APISPY: Calling EXE Entry Point 401000
009745 0000 09e4 *** Exception EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION on read of 0x75650000 (VirtualBlock 0x0-0x420000 Type=unknown Protection=PAGE_NOACCESS ) from D:\bin\DVDFab 6\DVDFab.exe:0x1aaa48a

The exact same capture folder, when built with ThinApp 4.0.3, produces no such error, and emits a fully working executable.

How to reproduce:

1. Run Setup Capture prescan, and install DVDFab HD Decrypter 6 (or 5) from http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm on a clean system. I tested Win2K SP4 and WinXP SP2, and I captured using both ThinApp 4.0.3 and 4.0.4. Uncheck the "Install VSO Burning Engine" option at install time.

2. Reboot computer to complete DVDFab installation.

3. Run Setup Capture postscan.

4. Build DVDFab.exe with ThinApp 4.0.4-204871. The application will fail to startup.

5. Build DVDFab.exe with ThinApp 4.0.3-3313. The application will startup successfully.

Is there any workaround for building this under 4.0.4? Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NickOn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is not first issue, when latest build of ThinApp doesn't works with some apps, which olders work well.

Biggest problem in DVDfab is packer on main EXE.

0 Kudos
Rolly
Contributor
Contributor

If there's an issue with the executable packer, then why does the 4.0.3 build work, but the 4.0.4 build doesn't?

By the way, it seems Xenocode doesn't emit a proper DVDFab executable either.

0 Kudos
NickOn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the 4.0.3 build work, but the 4.0.4 build doesn't

This is not a question. It is a fact.

Xenocode doesn't emit a proper DVDFab executable either

This too )))

0 Kudos
Rolly
Contributor
Contributor

I confess, I have no idea what you're trying to tell me.

0 Kudos
NickOn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm saing: We shod ask the developers "WHY?"

0 Kudos
Rolly
Contributor
Contributor

I did ask "why." In the thread topic.

0 Kudos