VMware Horizon Community
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Couple of sbmerge questions

Hi All,

Just messing around with sbmerge because I've been a bit slack with my updating of my current thinapps and getting tired of thinapping everything from scratch. I'm getting a bit confused on where you actually run sbmerge, I have an update I need to do for Office, do I update on my vdi desktop I have the thinapp streaming to then sbmerge? Because I don't have thanapp installed on it or do I update and sbmerge from my thinapp machine using the original Office project I created? The guides I have found mention about deleting everything from the thinstall folder in my sandbox but the sandbox would only be on my vdi desktop and not my thinapp machine. Hope what I'm trying to get at makes sense, just confused about where I run sbmerge.

Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oliAH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As Lakshman said, you need to execute sbmerge on a machine where ThinApp is installed.

Following those steps should be enough:

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/02/simple-steps-for-using-sbmerge.html

Briefly, to make it simple:

1. Choose a machine (whichever you want)

2. Install ThinApp on that machine

3. Delete %APPDATA%\Thinstall\<Application name> if exists

4. Copy the project folder, including the binaries in the 'bin folder', at the root of the C drive

5. Execute the application locating in the bin folder of your project

6. Make your changes, updates

7. Close the application.

8. Relaunch it to check everything works and the updates were successful. If so, close the application.

9. Open a command prompt, start -> run -> cmd

10. cd C:\<Project name>

11. Type "sbmerge apply" (without the quotes)

12. Execute build.bat

Done!

Blog: http://oliah.net >> Twitter: @olivier_ahson

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ross,  To use SBmerge, you need to have access to the ThinApp project folders along with sandbox.  You have to use the machine where ThinApp is installed.

rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Lakshman, the machine I thinapp with has no persistent disk, does not have the thinapp streamed to it and has only a local drive, I always revert to intitial image after finishing my thinapp but I still have my project folder with the build.bat file etc and the resulting program files (.exe, .msi) after build.bat is ran. Do I just copy this back to my thinapp machine? Putting the main project folder in the thinapp captures folder re-building and then making modifications and then doing an sbmerge? What is throwing me is the instructions to delete the %appdata%\thinstall contents, this wont exist on my thinapp machine so not sure what to do.

0 Kudos
oliAH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As Lakshman said, you need to execute sbmerge on a machine where ThinApp is installed.

Following those steps should be enough:

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/02/simple-steps-for-using-sbmerge.html

Briefly, to make it simple:

1. Choose a machine (whichever you want)

2. Install ThinApp on that machine

3. Delete %APPDATA%\Thinstall\<Application name> if exists

4. Copy the project folder, including the binaries in the 'bin folder', at the root of the C drive

5. Execute the application locating in the bin folder of your project

6. Make your changes, updates

7. Close the application.

8. Relaunch it to check everything works and the updates were successful. If so, close the application.

9. Open a command prompt, start -> run -> cmd

10. cd C:\<Project name>

11. Type "sbmerge apply" (without the quotes)

12. Execute build.bat

Done!

Blog: http://oliah.net >> Twitter: @olivier_ahson
0 Kudos
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for both of the replies, that's cleared things up for me, probably me being stupid but I was getting confused about where I actually run the sbmerge.

Thanks for the help. 

0 Kudos