VMware Horizon Community
plainplow
Contributor
Contributor

Could Not Create Directory Error with Office 2010

I am trying to ThinApp Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 on a Windows XP SP3 virtual machine.

Following VMware's suggested best practice, I have a shortcut on the VM's desktop to the Setup Capture program on the host computer, which is running Windows 7 Professional SP1.

I have been able to ThinApp several applications so far but Office is giving me problems.

I have run a prescan, installed and configured Office, and then go to run the postscan when I get an error that says "Could not create directory: \\cs13811\. . ." See the attached screen shot thinapp-error-1.png. When I click OK on that error window, I get a Could not execute window. See attached screenshot thinapp-error-2.png.

After that, when I try to access the host Win 7 machine from the WinXP VM I am not allowed to do so. Only after I restart the Win 7 machine am I able to access it from the VM.

I am running the trial version of ThinApp 4.6.1.

Any ideas?

- Paul Weir

P.S. This is the full path on the host machine that ThinApp is failing to create:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware  ThinApp\Captures\Microsoft Office Professional Plus  2010\%ProgramFilesDir%\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\10\Resources  which does not meet the 256-character limit I have read about in  another forum thread.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Cievo
Commander
Commander

So it's solved or not?

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, your path only has 161 chars with space, now considering the MAX_PATH is a limitation from Explorer and not from Win32 subsystem, I doubt it for the problem. still If it is MAX_PATH (256 char) problem than you can try installing ThinApp at c:\VM or similar small paths, you can also reduce the name of project to reduce it further.

Or you can run log monitor and generate logs for setup capture and snapshot.exe and see what is going wrong in the log files.

Cievo
Commander
Commander

1. Error

Can you, please, check if those .SNA and .ini files exists?

2. Error

Have you tried to create mentioned directory on network share yourself?

***Good question is half of the answer...***
plainplow
Contributor
Contributor

Cievo,

At your helpful suggestion I manually created the folder "Resources" which prevented ThinApp from erroring about that directory. But now it is giving me new errors. See the attached screenshots.

I also have the snapshots and ini file that these screenshots reference. They are also posted.

- Paul Weir

0 Kudos
plainplow
Contributor
Contributor

So, after I added the directory manualy as Cievo suggested and got the error the next time I started the setup capture, I tried capturing the application once more and everything worked! I'm sorry; I have no idea what the problem was. Thank you both for your help!

- Paul Weir

0 Kudos