VMware Horizon Community
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Capturing on earliest platform

Hi All,

Another ThinApp question from myself.

I am reading very conflicting storys on what O/S you should use to capture certain applications. For instance I'm wanting to capture Office 2003 to stream to a Windows 7 enviroment. Should I be capturing this on Windows XP or Windows 7? I keep reading that it should always be captured on the earliest platform it is designed to run on, which in this case would be Windows XP. I'm guessing there is no strict rule regarding this and can vary from application to application but what difference does it make? Could it be a difference between it running smoothly or not at all?

Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I think it depends on the oldest version of Windows where your ThinApped application will run. If you plan to run the package on both XP and Win7, then you should capture it on XP, but if you need it to run on Win7 only, then you can certainly capture it on Win7.

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In addition with what Yang said; at times there are applications which need to be captured separately for different OS.

For example; some time back when I was working on ITunes (or Quicktime may be), this application works differently on the basis of one registry key which is created by its installer on windows vista and above. Now either create that entry in XP package; or capture it in vista.

So back on topic,

1)There are appications written before windows vista; in all probability you should be able to get them work if captured on XP.

Than those which are Vista aware; which

2) Might have two separate code path for different OS; or

3) have single code path but are different OS aware.(and may behave differently based on OS)

Now applications which falls in to category 2) will be required to be captured in specific OS. (In our experience there are very few application like this)

Other can safely be captured on the lowest supported OS, for record your application falls in category one.

Cievo
Commander
Commander

Earliest OS you plan to support regarding documentation:

http://pubs.vmware.com/thinapp4/help/use_earliest_os.html#992153

***Good question is half of the answer...***
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, that's cleared things up completely, we are only planning to stream it to Windows 7 so I will capture it on that. 

0 Kudos