VMware Horizon Community
TyZ
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot create subdirectory in a Merged isolation mode directory in the sandbox

If I try to create a subdirectory in a directory that only exists in the sandbox, the system returns "The system cannot find the path specified."

Creating a new file in the same directory works fine.

I'll explain.

Let's say I have the following directory structure in the %Personal% directory of a captured application: "%Personal%/test1/test2"

If I build and execute the cmd.exe entry point, the directory structure is as expected; There is a test1 directory in the "My Documents" folder with one sub directory: "test2". Outside the sandbox these directories do not exist.

If I try to create a new subdirectory in the test1 (or test2) directory the system returns: "The system cannot find the path specified." and nothing happens. But if I create a new file in the same directory, the system creates the whole directory structure on the physical system, including the new file, as expected...

Can anyone help me solve this issue?

Regards,

Thijs.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Which ThinApp version are you using? I have some faint recollection that this got fixed recently.

0 Kudos
TyZ
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using VMware ThinApp 4.0.4 build 204871.

Regards,

Thijs.

0 Kudos
AnatolyVilchins

Oh wow, possible contender for "worst written post of 2010 so far". Can

you be A LOT more descriptive please, what's the server, what version

of VMWare, what OS's are involved, what do you mean by 'sandbox' - just

much more actual information first please.

http://serverfault.com/questions/99263/cannot-create-subdirectory-in-a-merged-isolation-mode-directo...

Starwind Software Developer

www.starwindsoftware.com

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
TyZ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Anatoly,

I hope there's a reward for the 'worst written post of 2010 so far'...

But seriously; except for the ThinApp version, I think my post is pretty clear. There's no hypervisor or server involved. If you try what I explained you should be able to replicate the error. On any current Microsoft OS.

Judging from your questions, I get the feeling you don't really know what ThinApp is and before I start explaining what I mean by 'sandbox', I suggest you read the documentation to familiarize yourself with ThinApp terminology.

Thanks for reading my post though.

Regards,

Thijs.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Just one question. You wrote "If I try to create a new subdirectory in the test1...". Have you created directory using that particular application? Have you tried to create virtualized cmd.exe and create directory using that virtualized cmd.exe?

Thank you for answer,

Ondrej Zilinec - Cievo

...Good question is half of the answer...

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
TyZ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Cievo,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. I tried to create a new directory both in that particular application (Which happened to be Microsoft Visual Studio 2008), and in the 'debugging' virtualized cmd.exe in the same container.

As you suggested, you can build a small virtualized test application to replicate the situation:

- start 'Setup Capture.exe'

- start the 'prescan'

- create a new directory in the 'My Documents' folder: 'My Documents\test1'

- start the 'postscan'

- Next...Next...Finish

You should now have a new 'cmd.exe' application in the "VMware ThinApp\Captures\cmd\bin" directory.

Execute it.

In the 'cmd' window that appears, go to your 'My Documents' directory. There should be a 'test1' directory which doesn't exist in your real 'My Documents' directory.

If you try to create a new directory inside the 'test1' directory (with 'md test1\test2'), the system returns: 'The system cannot find the path specified.'

Creating a new file with 'echo "test" > test1\file' works fine, and results in the 'test1' directory being created in your real 'My Documents' folder as expected after which creating subdirectories in the 'test1' directory also works.

Regards,

Thijs.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Hello Thijs

This is very very interesting Smiley Happy All directories with Merge isolation are acting like this.

I thing you should report this as a bug to developers.

Great work!

Ondrej Zilinec - Cievo

...Good question is half of the answer...

***Good question is half of the answer...***