VMware Horizon Community
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can appsync be trusted to disable thinapp packages permanently

Can I use the Appsync parameters in a thinapp package to fully disable a package after a particular period of time and know the package can't be reused again?

My setup would be

a password protected web server which holds any application updates

configuring the thinapp package to expire after 1 week if it can't contact the upload location

Adding a package update after 1 week where the trail software has been uninstalled from the thiniapp again

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No it cannot.. We track the number of days offline in a log file. The user who creates the log file is the user executing the package, i.e. the user can delete the file and use the application for let's say 30 new days..

There is implementations of built in vb-scripts doing time outs, we have our own product Horizon Application Manager (http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop_virtualization/horizon/) which will help you out and there is third party tools like www.softwarekey.com.

mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks I'll give them a look.

An example might help the final part of my question

If I package an application e.g. Adobe Reader and Firefox complete the appsync settings to have it update from a web server. If i then update that same package where I have uninstalled Adobe Reader. When the user downloads the update they should have a package that now doesn't have Adobe Reader installed but still has firefox

Would that be true?

0 Kudos
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes that's true, if the update package contains only firefox, then after download the user will only have firefox for use.

Thanks.

0 Kudos