VMware Horizon Community
GIS-Fabio
Contributor
Contributor

Campture of ArcGIS 10.1 genearate a 3.5 GB Dat File

Hello

The Capture of ArcGIS 10.1 generate a Dat-File of 3.5 GB. When I start the app and go to the File menu the ArcMap 10.1.exe is running an running an consuming CPU-Time. After 1-2 hours I can't still use ArcGIS. Are Dat-File to big to run on WinXP?

I captured with ThinApp 4.7.2

Regards,

Fabio

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Cievo
Commander
Commander

3.5 GB is a huge package, but it shouldn't take 1-2 hours to proceed it Smiley Happy  It doesn't read whole DAT file.

• Is it really neccessary to have that but package? Isn't there too much unsussed stuff?
  • Try Thinapp 4.7.3
  • Have you tried to look into running package using Process Monitor?
***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
GIS-Fabio
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Cievo

Yes, ArcGIS 10.1 is that big Stone.

Is in 4.7.3 done a real performance forward step?

The real problem of thinapp ArcGIS 10.1 is, that the HKLM.txt is 55 MB big. So, I think when Registry Files are loaded in DAT-File there is no Indexing mechanism to read an search thinapp Registry.

When I start thinapp ArcGIS 10.1 from a local Drive with a local Sandbox the app is ready after some Minutes.

But now happens the strange thing. Working with ArcGIS is very, very slow.

And there is 0% CPU activity on ArcMap.exe !!

And there is no Disk activity on the LED !

And no Network activity !

So, why not use the power of my PC?

Thinapp ArcGIS is slow but my PC have nothing to do. Is this real?

Fabio

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Regarding DATa container. Doesn't matter how big the DATa container is. Yes, you are right. HKLM size 55MB will be a problem. What registry keys are there? Are all necessary to be there? Thinapp is really bad in servicing registry keys. Everytime you access registries, thinapp VOS opens whole file and copares registry keys, checks isolation mode and work with it.

I would look into HKLM file and clean it up. If you want, you can compress it and upload to this forum. I can check it also and clean it for you.

From documentation:

After a client computer receives data, ThinApp decompresses the data directly to memory. Because ThinApp does
not write data to the disk, the process is fast. A large package does not necessarily take a long time to load over
the network and the package size does not affect the startup time of an application. If you add an extra 20GB
file to a package that is not in use at runtime, the package loads at the same speed. If the application opens and
reads 32KB of data from the 20GB file, ThinApp only requests 32KB of data.

0 Kudos
GIS-Fabio
Contributor
Contributor

Ciao Cievo

Thanks for your help. I attached the HKLM.txt. How can you see what Appliacation realy use in the Registry?

Regards,

Fabio

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

This is really huge HLKM file :smileylaugh:

Almost 90% of those entries are regarding CLASSES. In this scenarios I do following:

• Export registries into REG file
  • Import REG file on every machine Thinapped application is deployed.
  • Clean-up HKLM file in Thinapp project
  • All registries will be accessible, but they will be native and not virtual

Applications run smoothly, but not all their registry entries are virtual.

Look at page 74 in documentation. There is a script you may use.

GIS-Fabio
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Cievo

Thank you for help me.

Ok, the idea to install physically a part of Registry from a thinapp Application to a computer. I have some questions about that.

1. How can I convert an Thinapp HKLM.txt to a Windows REG-File?

2. Can a normal user with no admin rights on the Computer import HKLM Registry with regedit /s?

3. 90% of my HKLM.txt is regarding CLASSES. On all Computers there is the old version of ArcGIS Version 9.3 installed (no thinapp but classic installed). So will there be a conflict? Normaly there is no way to Install ArcGIS 9.3 and ArcGIS 10.1 together.

4. Can I install the Classes HKLM.txt to a specific path in HKCU Registry? So there is no conflict with ArcGIS 9.3 Registry?

Regards,

Fabio

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

1. I will prepare script this week and publish it.
  2. I don't think "normal" user can add anything to HKLM
  3. I have no idea. It depends if they overlap registries or not. I don't know this application.
  4. Nope...application looks into HKLM store and there is no way to redirect HKLM store to some HKCU branch.

This problem with registries evaluated everytime thinapped application accesses them is making me mad. IMHO Thinapp team should do some improvemens in handling and evaluating registries.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

I didn't create script, but here is a solution for registry keys http://communities.vmware.com/thread/427786?tstart=0

0 Kudos