VMware Horizon Community
Grinch843
Contributor
Contributor

Best way to setup a VMware system to use Thinapp??

Hi,

When I install a guest OS in vmware so I can use it to work with thinapp, should I do things like windows updates and what not or would it be best to leave it as bare as possible so any program I setup will be certain to add all the components that are required to run?

Thanks,

Grinch843......

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

I create a blank VM from a template, and install any AV software that the destination machines will have then install THinApp. I then create a large second VMDK for storing Capture files on and make this an independant persisten disk in the Vm settings. I then shutdown the VM and take a snapshot. This way I can revert to the snapshot after every build to ensure a clean image but the capture and output files are all stored on the data drive so if I need to rebuild anything all teh data is there without going through complicated installs again

impag
Contributor
Contributor

Basically it depens solely on what you want to achieve. If your standard desktop doesn't have or need DotNet Framework, don't install it on your ThinApp Capture Machine. So if an application needs the framework, it will be within the package.
If you have a standard desktop that you roll out and your standard desktop has the DotNet Framework (e.g. installed using WSUS), us this kind of machine as ThinApp Capture Machine.We decided to install DotNet, Java, IE8 and Office into our system image so we start capturing from this setup.
You could as well make a DotNet Framework Package and AppLink this to your Application, as described in this video using Google Chrome and Adobe Flash Player (ignore the music)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9zCgk0lt6M
0 Kudos