VMware Horizon Community
jaskelly3578
Contributor
Contributor

Autocad 2009 and Autodesk Inventor 2009

Hi, we are trialling Thinapp 4.0.3 to try and reduce our company PC image size. We are having an issue virtualizing Autocad 2009 and Inventor 2009. Each individual app is being thinapped and the installed app works fine on the clean system. When we try to run the thinapped version of Inventor it just hangs after displaying the Inventor Splash screen with the process using 50% CPU. Autocad comes up with a Fatal Error......... at the splash screen. All updates to Inventor and Autocad have been applied and all threads on this forum have been tried without success.

Please help as this could solve a lot of management issue for the ICT team.:(

Jason

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ralfVM
Contributor
Contributor

Hallo Jason,

did you succeed in virtualizing Autodesk producs?

I would be interested in your hints.

0 Kudos
jaskelly3578
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone done this. We really need some help Thinapping CAD and Inventor.

0 Kudos
AaronBlack
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'd like to help and get this working for yourself and others that have these applicaitons. Have you used the logmonitor to catch any errors or tbshoot? Also, have you checked out the ThinApp Applicaiton Tbshooting Guide for some basic tbshooting suggestions? Since this software isn't readily available we'll need some help with info to try and diagnose. Which .exe is showingup in taskmgr at 50% ? If you have purchased ThinApp then I'd recommend our support group to expedite this process, if you're eval'g then provide us some info so we can assist - thanks

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2009/05/app-troubleshooting.html

Aaron Black, ThinApp PM
0 Kudos
jaskelly3578
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody_100

The exe that is showing up at 50% (Dual Core, 100% Single Core) is the Autodesk Inventor.exe. I have run the log monitor used the process monitor and all appears to be working OK. Although I'm not sure exactly what I supposed to be looking for. Other entry points to the other programs installed with Inventor seem to work, just not Inventor. The trace files a huge, over 400MB so I can't post them. I don't know what to do now or how to fix it. What info would you like, just remember i'm a noob?

Desperate

Jason

0 Kudos
krembo99
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I have virtualised with success autocad products (architectural desktop)

I had a small problem, that the app run only from the C drive , and crashed from USB or external drive. , but i am working on it now .

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What should someone think of when virtualizing AutoCad? Do you have any Tips&Tricks?

On which OS do you run the AutoCad apps?

0 Kudos
krembo99
Contributor
Contributor

I run on XP SP2 and SP3

Actually the virtualisation process was pretty simple, just followed the normal instructions for any other app.

I used Microsoft Virtual Machine for the process.

When asked for entry points, i just choose ALL the small exe and apps that are attached to the ACAD main exe.

Autocad is pretty primitive, and uses a lot of external app calls. you need to have them all.

BEFORE the second capture, verify that you have configured autocad pathes , plot files, CTB Networks etc.

It should work just fine later.

0 Kudos
gcVmWare
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You didn't have any problems? What do you mean by running from c:. You have to save the build to c:\

I'm sweating with this for some days now but cannot get it to work. every time i start autocad it crashes with a fatal error. Or the logo is displayed en then after 20 minutes i get the error license message

0 Kudos
jreynosonyc
Contributor
Contributor

so AutoCAD 2009 Arch has been virtualized with success? I have trying for a few days now and I keep getting errors. We are attempting to virtualize this app so that we can "DeepFreeze" the computers in the lab. This is a school environment. Any and all help would be great.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Please open a new thread and specify the errors you get. A lot have happend on the ThinApp side since october.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos