VMware Horizon Community
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Assign ThinApps to groups of users

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help, I have a quick question.

Can you assign thinapps by user groups defined in Active Directory? At the moment we are assigning by pool or individual users depending on their needs. I ask because we have come across a situation where a user has lost their vdi desktop and are re-assigned a new one with a totally different desktop name, unfortunutely they lose whatever thinapp is assigned to them unless it has been assigned by pool because it's been assigned to desktop and not a specific user.

Regards,
Ross

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

You can make an application captured with default settings to be launched only for user group say "domain users" and for an existing domain "dmn" by

1. Open package.ini.
  2. Search for "PermittedGroups".
  3. Uncomment that line / Remove the semicolon at the beginning of the line.
  4. Set the PermittedGroups=dmn\domain users.
  5. Also Search for "AccessDeniedMsg" and set it to something appropriate and applicable.
  6. Build the thinapp again on a machine joined to "dmn".

If a  user launches thinapp on a machine which does not belong to a domain

or

A user not belonging to a domain launches the thinappaed application

then

He will not be able to launch the thinapped application and would be prompted with the set "Access Denied message".

GURU

Views expressed in here are my own.
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for both of the replies, both have explained how I can implement what I need to do, it's just unfortunute I need to stream it to the whole pool no matter what. I don't really need to restrict access but more make sure the people who do need the thinapped application have it no matter what vdi desktop they are assigned.

Thanks again for the replies.

Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos