VMware Horizon Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Application Issue

I am trying to Thisapp an accounting app and so far have been successful with most of teh years.  I am trying to thinapp older version (2004 - 2007) so that they will be compatable with Windows7 desktops.  I do have a strange issue and a couple questions.  I got most of the years to thinapp just fine with a little tweaking but teh 06 year is giving me fits.  After i capture the project adn build everyting seems normal however, wehn i try to open the app from a windows7 machine i get a message about not being compatible with windows 7.  I can close that message adn open the app after that.  Anyone hav e aclue why i get that?  This was thinapped using an XP machine.  One other odd thing.  When i add it to a pool of computers and try to run it via streaming it won't run at all.  What is the differrnce between streaming and running it from the BIN directory?  Any help with this is appreciated.  Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

>>After i capture the project adn build everyting seems normal however, wehn i try to open the app from a windows7 machine i get a message about not being compatible with windows 7.  I can close that message adn open the app after that.

- What I understand from your statement is that, on first launch on Win 7 you get the compatibility error message, once you close it and launch again everything is fine, right?

- Do you see any kind of error being logged in the Event log?

- Does problematic application versionwork natively on Windows 7? If it doesn't then it might be difficult to run it virtualized on Win7, I think this webpage might be helpful and worth giving a try: http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2011/04/making-windows-xp-only-apps-run-on-windows-7.html .

- Also, can you please upload the Log Monitor trace files for the application, they would definitely throw some light on what's going on. Once the log file is there, we can search for the error message (that is displayed) in the log file and see what's going on before that.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Odd thing is...years 2004, 2005, and 2007 work just fine the way i have it done.  This is the only year that won't work.  Attached is the App Log and the error that i receive.  Not sure where or what log file you need me to upload.  If you can point me to it i will upload it.  Thanks again for teh reply.

0 Kudos
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The log file that I am talking about is the one generated using ThinApp Log Monitor utility. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Launch Log Monitor utility (this is available in the ThinApp installtion folder).

2. Then launch your virtualized application. (now Log Monitor will start collecting the logging info in a file, one file will be created for each process that is launched by the app, these files will be located in the folder where your app binaries are located).

3. Once you see the error, you can kill the application.

4. Now you can convert the .trace files (generated by Log Monitor) to .txt files using Log Monitor.

5. You can zip these .txt files and upload.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also, please clarify this statement?

>>I am trying to thinapp older version (2004 - 2007) so that they will be compatable with Windows7 desktops.

What do you mean by ThinApp older version, Are these applications for each year( I guess no), are they some sort of DB file.

As per our nomenclature, when we say "We ThinApped it", we meant that we have virtualize an APP.

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i am under the assumption that i can thinapp an application using a Windows XP desktop and be able to run that application from a different OS as well as a Windows XP desktop.  These older apps are just workstation setups that are run from the network.  All the years work except teh 2006 version.  I just thougtht it was strange that one wold not work.  aren't all the files that are needed for the app to run all encapsuilated in the job when it's built?  Maybe i need tome clarification.

When i try to launch the app from the BIN folder in the repository i get that windows 7 message but then i close that and the App works fine.  However, when i try to launch the app from the desktop shortcut (created when i assigned teh desktop in View manager) i get teh following error and the app worn't start.  What is the difference between the two ways of geetting launched

1839903.png

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>>i am under the assumption that i can thinapp an application using a Windows XP desktop and be able to run that application from a different OS as well as a Windows XP desktop.

If the application supports other OS, than yes it should.

If the application does not supprt other OS, than it may work; no guarranty though.

Now when I see your attachment, the error message says,

"

Application has detected that it has been installed on a computer with the Microsoft Vist OS. This version is not compatible with windows Vista and feature may not work as expected. Do you want to continue

"

Now this is not because of thinApp; you should see exact same message if you try to install this 2003 application to Vista/Win7.

Based on the error and your description; this might have happened here:

Vista was suppose to launched in late 2006,

So application version till 2005, are not aware at all about vista and do not check it at all.

Application version from 2007 are compatible with vista hence does not show any message.

Application version 2006 knows about vista but is not fully compatible with it, and hence the message.

pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Regarding ThinApp and making Windows XP only apps work on other plattforms: http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2011/04/making-windows-xp-only-apps-run-on-windows-7.html

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah i read that already.  The part that is very puzzling to me is that the oldest versions work fine with no errors at all.  And the fact that it will run when i double-click the EXE file in the BIN directory but won't run at all if i click the shortcut created by View.

0 Kudos