VMware Horizon Community
fannda
Contributor
Contributor

AppLinking add-ons to a packaged browser.

Hi

I have not been able to AppLink add-on packages to a browser package.  I believe it should be possible to do though.

I have created a working IE10 package with ThinApp 5 by capturing on a clean Win7 x64 SP1 (IE8)

I then created an Adobe Flash add-on package and a Microsoft Silverlight add-on package by capturing them on the same machine but with IE10 installed.  This seemed to be a reasonable course, since I want the add-ons to work with the packaged IE10 browser.

The add-on packages had IE entry points included for testing.  The IE10 package had the OptionalAppLink paths set pointing to the data containers (.dat) for each of the add-on packages.

Using the cmd.exe debugging entry point of the IE10 parent package, it is possible to verify that the child package files and folders are visible to the parent application.

Silverlight and Flash test pages loaded in the IE10 packaged browser do not correctly initialise or display the respective content.

The Silverlight and Flash packages function as expected if the test web pages are loaded by using the native browser entry points created in each package.  These worked in tests with IE10 and IE11 as the native browsers.

So the add-on packages look ok but they are not working within the packaged browser.

There are differences on where the add-on appear in the IE "Manage add-ons" window.

Packaged IE10

No Flash add-on entries appear on any drop down  (All add-ons, Currently loaded add-ons, Run without permission, Downloaded controls)

Silverlight appears on the Run without permission - but does not function.

Flash - native (IE11) browser entry

Shockwave Flash Object appears in All add-ons and Currently loaded add-ons

Silverlight - native (IE11) browser entry

Microsoft Silverlight appears in All add-ons only

Finally I've also spent a fair amount of time trying to get Adobe Reader browser plugins work but these have not worked either.  Even using native browser entry points have not launched fully working sessions of the Adobe Reader IE plug-in.  Tried this with versions 11 and 9.

Ideas gratefully received!

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
0 Replies