VMware Horizon Community
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Amending package.ini once created

Hi,

Bit of a noob question but is it possible to amend the package.ini file once the application has gone through the ThinApp process? Or does the application need to be re-ThinApped? We need to add some entry points to our ThinApped versions of Java Run-Time and Adobe Reader, we have Internet Explorer installed locally to the desktops and it's not recognising either Java Run-Time or Adobe Reader. As Internet Explorer is local to the desktop I assume entry points within those applications need to be created for it, please let me know if this is not correct, having issues with any website with Java applets etc or wanting the Adobe Reader plugin.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hos250872
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After creating an entry point for the IE, you should have an iexplore.exe file in your Thinapps folder containing the  Acrobat Reader.

If you start the IE using this iexplore.exe file (double click in the explorer), it should start the IE in the virtual bubble of the Acrobat Reader an the plugin should work. For the first test, close all other open IE windows, maybe the IE is smart enough to recognize that another instance is open and uses this instance, instead of creating a new one.

Also I've tried installing IE as a ThinApp, I'm not sure how this can be done but I capture IE and when I try to add it on View Admin it comes up as Status Invalid and will not add it to the list of ThinApps. I captured it by just clicking on Internet Explorer button and choosing "Include an entry point for system installed IE", is this a valid way to ThinApp IE? or would we literally have to uninstall IE and then install again and then capture that?

For running the IE in a virtual session, your approach is valid, at least if you use Thinapps on normal systems. I don't have any knowledge about vmware View, so I can't say anything to your error. I've used this approach on the IE and it worked on stand-alone machines.

But for your captured IE to see the Adobe Reader plugin that is contained in another Thinapp package, you need to add an applink entry in the package.ini, so that the newly created IE only package see the content of the Adobe Reader package.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ross,

You can very well do that.

Locate for Package.ini in the ThinApp project folder (by default under C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware ThinApp\Captures\APPNAME). You can edit them (using notepad) and update manually. Once updated, run the 'build.bat' file available on the same location. The updated ThinApp will be available under the 'bin' folder.

rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, I've amended the package.ini file for Adobe Reader 9.3, I've added the following as an entry point:

[iexplore.exe]

Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Shortcut=Adobe Reader 9.3.dat

We are streaming Adobe Reader 9.3 as a ThinApp. The problem we are having is that Internet Explorer is installed locally to our desktops, the Adobe Reader plugin is not being recognised by IE and certain sites (one being www.parcelforce.net) is saying no Adobe Reader plugin is installed. Weird thing is, if you click on a link to a PDF document it will actually launch Adobe Reader standalone to view the document, even if you use the Test button at the bottom of this site one of their tickets will launch in Adobe Reader, but the site will not let you progress any further unless the plugin is recognised, it's a pre-requisite. I was hoping the above amendment to the package.ini may solve this issue but sadly no.

We are running Windows 8, IE 8 and Adobe Reader 9.3.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Are you registering the Adobe Reader ThinApp? As you are streaming, you can use ThinReg utility to register and check if that helps.

Please see here on how to use ThinReg:

http://pubs.vmware.com/thinapp4/help/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm?href=thinreg_utility.html#100...

0 Kudos
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, not sure if ThinReg is the solution, I did come across this utility also but the problem isn't really related to file association, I can open PDF files via Internet Explorer no problem. The problem we have is that some websites will check whether Java Run-Time, Flash, Reader plugin is installed before it lets you progress and for whatever reason IE is marking Adobe Reader plugin as not installed, it is also not listed as a plugin even though Adobe Reader is streaming to every desktop.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I'm not sure what mechanism IE has to check for plugins. May be one way of trying is capturing IE along with Java runtime, Adobe reader and flash plugins.

0 Kudos
hos250872
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Since there is no natively installed Adobe Reader and your natively installed IE cannot look into the Acrobat Reader package, there is no plugin to find.

But if you start the IE using the newly created entry point, it should work.

Because then, the IE is started inside the virtual bubble and should see all of files of the Adobe package, inclusive the plugin files.

Short: Virtual plugins need virtual IEs.

rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Hos,

I've created an entry point for IE in the package.ini file for Adobe Reader as above. How do I access this specific entry point? I still have IE installed locally to the desktop itself and when I launch this the same problem occurs, the plugin is not listed or anything. But I assume I'm just launching the locally installed version of IE.

Also I've tried installing IE as a ThinApp, I'm not sure how this can be done but I capture IE and when I try to add it on View Admin it comes up as Status Invalid and will not add it to the list of ThinApps. I captured it by just clicking on Internet Explorer button and choosing "Include an entry point for system installed IE", is this a valid way to ThinApp IE? or would we literally have to uninstall IE and then install again and then capture that?

Sorry for all the questions, still learning how to ThinApp etc. 

Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
hos250872
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After creating an entry point for the IE, you should have an iexplore.exe file in your Thinapps folder containing the  Acrobat Reader.

If you start the IE using this iexplore.exe file (double click in the explorer), it should start the IE in the virtual bubble of the Acrobat Reader an the plugin should work. For the first test, close all other open IE windows, maybe the IE is smart enough to recognize that another instance is open and uses this instance, instead of creating a new one.

For running the IE in a virtual session, your approach is valid, at least if you use Thinapps on normal systems. I don't have any knowledge about vmware View, so I can't say anything to your error. I've used this approach on the IE and it worked on stand-alone machines.

But for your captured IE to see the Adobe Reader plugin that is contained in another Thinapp package, you need to add an applink entry in the package.ini, so that the newly created IE only package see the content of the Adobe Reader package.

0 Kudos
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Hos and Lakshan for your help.

Managed to find a solution thanks to both of you for your help.

Using the entry point for IE in the package.ini for Adobe Reader I created a shortcut from the IE version installed locally on the master image to the entry point IE packaged with Adobe Reader and this appears to work. So once all the desktops are recomposed the IE shortcut on these desktops will be pointing to the IE entry point containing the plugin.

Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos