VMware Horizon Community
jetboater
Contributor
Contributor

Adobe Reader 11 Thinapp - Open pdf in browser

Hello, I am trying to create a thinapp for Adobe Reader 11 (but any version would probably be the same process).  Then base thinapp works perfectly, with one exception.

When a website has .pdf content, the only option is to Save or Open the file.  With the full client of Adobe Reader installed, the content can be displayed through the browser. 

Does anyone know how to enable the thinapp to display pdf files launched in a browser in the browser?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you try to open .pdf in a native browser? The native browser cannot see the Adobe Reader ThinApp package so it will not work.

0 Kudos
jetboater
Contributor
Contributor

how can I point the native IE browser to see reader thinapp? I have the option to create an entry point for native Internet explorer checked already.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Have you registered thinapped Adobe on system using thinreg.exe utility?

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
ZebS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It sounds like you have a web browser (Internet Explorerer?) in a thinapp and you're trying to open PDF files using a natively installed Adobe Reader. I just went through the same thing. From what I experienced with an IE8 thinapp, Adobe Reader 10 and 11 both get fussy about running while in the thinapp bubble.

The best solution I could find was to add the line below to package.ini

ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions=AcroRd32.exe;winword.exe;excel.exe;outlook.exe

In my case, users needed to open .docx, .xlsx, .pdf and use "send to email" functions, so I excluded all of the associated applications from running in the default virtual environment.

Because the processes are now running outside of the virtual bubble, you also need to set isolation on the %Internet Cache% directory in your package files to "merged" by editing the ##Attributes.ini file. The downside to this is that the IE temp files from the thinapp are now mingling with the native temp files but so far I haven't had issues with it. To help mitigate the problem, I've got the "Delete Browsing History on Exit" setting enabled in the virtual IE.

0 Kudos