VMware Horizon Community
chillware1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Adobe Acrobat thinapp hangs and/or freezes randomly..

Hey guys,

This one has me stumped.. I've thinapp'd Aobe Acrobat 8.2.6 using ThinApp 4.6 and 3 of our heavy users of it complain that randomly while they are either inserting pages in to a PDF or even just scrolling through the pages of documents, the Acrobat thinapp will hang for 5 - 60 seconds or longer and be completly unresponsive. I am not sure what could be causing this to happen. The documents they are working with are not all that large. some only a few pages, others are 10 - 15 pages long. The VM's are Windows 7 SP1 w/ 2GB of memory. I've launched task manager while Acrobat was hung, CPU and memory use are both normal, nothing pegged out.

So I went and ThinApp a trial version of Acrobat X and let one of the users try that, thought it was all good, but she complained today that it was back to doing the same thing.

Today I removed the thinapps from her machine and just installed acrobat 8.2.6 localally on her VM to see if that makes a difference.

Do you guys have thoughts on why this would be hanging/freezing so often? None of my other thinapps do this, and I have about 20 or so out there in use.

I know in vmWare View Pool settings, there is a couple of setting for Adobe Flash Throttling.. Think this could possibly have anything to do with it?

Also the ThinApps are set for streaming, would that have any affect?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Weird problem.

Try to install Thinapped Adobe MSI into machine. If it's still a problem then application is a problem. If problem disappears then problem is not in Adobe.

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Adobe Acrobat thinapp hangs and/or freezes randomly.."

Isn't that the way Acrobat is supposed to work normally?  lol... kidding:smileylaugh:

Try turning off autosave in the settings.  It's probably trying to autosave to a directory it doesn't have rights to.

If that is the cause, try rebuilding giving it rights to that directory.

0 Kudos
CMuench20111014
Contributor
Contributor

This is due to the Sandbox options that Adobe Reader X moved to.

1. Start the Capture

2. Install Adobe Reader X

3. Open Adobe and goto Edit/Preferences

4. Go into "General" and uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup"

5. Close and complete capture

Hopefully that helps

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Agree it might be related to the protected mode.. I have posted a recipe here: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-15718

0 Kudos
chillware1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cool, I'll try this and let you know.. Does this apply to Acrobat 8? That's what I'm having issues w/..

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not sure.. I think there is a special Adobe 8 instruction available.. Have a look here: http://communities.vmware.com/thinap.jspa

0 Kudos