VMware Horizon Community
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding shortcut to taskbar

Hi All,

Is there a way of adding a shortcut to the taskbar without using thinreg? I can add one to the desktop and program list but it will not appear on the taskbar, currently I have this line in my package.ini:

Shortcuts=%Programs%;%Desktop%;%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

I'm not sure whether the part in bold is a legitimate location, as usually this is where the natively installed version of IE8 would have a shortcut. Should I be providing a different path location?

Our VDI desktop enviroment is Windows 7.

Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ross,

As per my understanding, ThinApp can be Pinned only if deployed using MSI and not for streaming from a network share.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I think you have bad path, because %AppData% represents directory ...AppData\Roaming...

So instead of:

Shortcuts=%Programs%;%Desktop%;%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Use following:

Shortcuts=%Programs%;%Desktop%;%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Have a nice day Smiley Wink

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the reply guys.

I tried amending the path location as suggested and it's still not pinning it to the task bar. But after reading the link provided by Lakshman it looks like this isn't possible, unless I have misunderstood the blog it look's like I cannot pin a streamed thinapp to the taskbar, only locally installed applications on WIndows 7 can be pinned to start menu and taskbar, if I have misunderstood this please let me know.

Anyway that answers my question.

Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ross,

As per my understanding, ThinApp can be Pinned only if deployed using MSI and not for streaming from a network share.

0 Kudos
GreenVomit8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me with Windows 10 21H2

1. Copy the shortcut to %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
  2. It should now show up in the start menu under Recently added
  3. Pin it now to Taskbar

Reference: Can't Pin Some Applications to Start Menu in Windows 10 

0 Kudos