VMware Horizon Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

4.61 CompressionType=fast not working as well?

I noticed in 4.6.1, the packages seems to be bigger. Today I rebuilt my Office 2003 package, and was surprised at the size differences:

Previous Version: CompressionType=Fast
1/19/2010  13:51     215,175,063  ___A__________  Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003.dat

4.6.1 CompressionType=Fast
4/21/2011  16:09     399,880,795  ___A__________  Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003.dat

4.6.1 CompressionType=None
4/21/2011  16:34     462,288,227  ___A__________  Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003.dat

It seems to do something, but far less than what I was getting in previous versions..

If I use 7-zip to compress the capture folder using standard setting, it is about 152,037,029.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Squidly_Man
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Per the "VMware ThinApp 4.5 - What's New" article (http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/03/vmware-thinapp-45-whats-new.html)......

Back in ThinApp 4.5 VMware released an "OptimizeFor=Disk" parameter.

New package.ini parameter: OptimizeFor     
ThinApp 4.5 adds a new optional package.ini parameter called "OptimizedFor" which can be set to either "Memory" (default) or "Disk". ThinApp's new performance and memory sharing features may result in larger package files.  In the worst case scenario packages can be twice as large as  before but in most cases the size difference, if any, is will be less  significant. If disk size is more important than memory utilization and  startup performance, you can set "OptimizeFor=Disk" in package.ini under  [BuildOptions]. The result of such a change will cause package sizes to  be similar as 4.0.4 and lower. In ThinApp 4.5, virtual executable files  such as EXEs and DLLs are not compressed inside of packages on disk  even when CompressionType=fast is enabled unless OptimizeFor=Disk is  also set.

This is primarily because VMware also included startup and bandwidth optimizations in the form of memory remapping to allow for faster starts and more efficient streaming into memory of the package contents.

Startup time improvements     
For many users,  application startup time is one of the most important criteria for user  acceptance. In ThinApp 4.5, many applications will start significantly  faster. For example, Power Point 2007 loads approximately twice as fast  compared with previous versions of ThinApp when launched from a local  hard drive with a cold disk cache.

Time in seconds to startup Power Point 2007, 2nd+ execution, cold disk cache

Bandwidth consumption improvements     
Compared  with ThinApp 4.0.4, ThinApp 4.5 typically uses less bandwidth to stream  an application from a network share during initial application startup.  For Office 2007 applications, the amount of bandwidth consumed to  stream an application from a network share has been reduced by  approximately 50% (half the bandwidth required from 4.0.4). This  improvement comes from a new build optimization process that performs  static analysis on executable data and arranges packages such that less  executable code needs to be present on client systems in order to begin  execution.

Example bandwidth consumption (in MB) when streaming Word 2007

All of this and much more can be read in the below ThinApp Blog article.

VMware ThinApp 4.5 – What’s new?

-Dean F.

-http://pub.vmware.com/thinapp4/help/

-Dean F. https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/identitymanager-pubs.html
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ah. That did it, thanks!

0 Kudos