VMware Communities
andbos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

TCA Workflow fails with IndexOutOfBoundsException

Hi,

Workflow fails with IndexOutOfBoundsException (full stack trace below). Any ideas?

I have Aria Automation Orchestrator 8.11.1 and TCA 2.3.0. Orchestrator is registered in TCA Appliance Manager and in vCenter (using workflow Add a vCenter Server instance).

andbos_0-1697546715315.png

2023-10-17 12:11:45.202 UTC [pool-6-thread-2, , , , TxId: ] ERROR c.v.t.w.e.WorkflowExecutionScheduler- Unable to execute step due to: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 1 out of bounds for length 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 1 out of bounds for length 1
at com.vmware.tca.directory.AuthenticationServiceByVc.getGroups(AuthenticationServiceByVc.java:242)
at com.vmware.tca.directory.AuthenticationServiceByVc.getGroups(AuthenticationServiceByVc.java:248)
at com.vmware.tca.directory.AuthenticationServiceByVc.getUserContext(AuthenticationServiceByVc.java:98)
at com.vmware.tca.workflow.executor.WorkflowExecutionHandler.execute(WorkflowExecutionHandler.java:113)
at com.vmware.tca.workflow.executor.WorkflowExecutionScheduler.lambda$wrap$0(WorkflowExecutionScheduler.java:155)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 1 out of bounds for length 1
at java.base/jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.outOfBounds(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.outOfBoundsCheckIndex(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.checkIndex(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.Objects.checkIndex(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.Collections$UnmodifiableList.get(Unknown Source)
at com.vmware.tca.directory.AuthenticationServiceByVc.validateAndGetVcConnection(AuthenticationServiceByVc.java:267)
at com.vmware.tca.directory.AuthenticationServiceByVc.getGroups(AuthenticationServiceByVc.java:203)
... 10 common frames omitted

Best regards,
Andreas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
umar_shaikh1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Found the problem 🙂 

TCA does not support adding vCenter using 'root' accounts. You need to register vCenter using an SSO account. (eg: administrator@vsphere.local or cloudadmin@vmc.local, etc.).

Browse to your TCA-M 9443 UI and go to Configuration -> vCenter.

Re-enter the credentials correctly. Then browse to Appliance Summary tab and restart the 'Web Service' and 'Application Service'.

Give it around 3 to 4 minutes post that. It should work fine after that.

Login to TCA 443 UI using the SSO credentials (and not root) post this.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
umar_shaikh1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Andreas,

How are you? Can you send us the CSAR and the TCA-M log + database dump?

Thanks,
Umar

0 Kudos
andbos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Umar,

I'm just fine, thank you. How are you?
Sure, but how does one go about extracting a database dump?

Best regards,
Andreas

0 Kudos
umar_shaikh1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'm doing alright 🙂 

Apologies, should've been more explicit in my ask.

Browse to the Appliance Management portal (https://tca-appliance-ip:9443) for your TCA Appliances. Login using 'admin' appliance credentials.

Browse to Administration -> Technical Support Logs

Select the Logs and the Database options and click Generate. Wait for the generation to complete, post which it should give you an option to download the bundle (tar.gz). This contains both the logs as well as the DB.

CSARs can be downloaded directly off the primary TCA UI by selecting the Download option on the relevant Catalog item.

0 Kudos
andbos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Ok, sure. Can I maybe upload it to ftpsite.vmware.com? I would prefer not sharing the whole dump with all communities users.
I created the workflow under Catalog and then executed it, pointing to my NF. It is a very basic workflow for testing, just a SSH item that shall execute "ip a".

Best regards,
Andreas

0 Kudos
umar_shaikh1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, of course. Feel free to share the folder with me separately. You know my email 🙂 

I understand. I'm curious too why this would fail.

0 Kudos
andbos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have now uploaded the file to the FTP, directory "andbos".

It's a mystery. vRO is registered successfully in TCA-CP and vCenter is successfully registered in vRO. IP connectivity and DNS lookups are working between vRO, TCA and vSphere/vCenter. I'm currently double-checking DNS configuration after a suggestion from a contact at VMware but in parallel it would be interesting to learn exactly what the stack trace means. It's pointing to auth and group setting issue but what?

Best regards,
Andreas

0 Kudos
umar_shaikh1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Found the problem 🙂 

TCA does not support adding vCenter using 'root' accounts. You need to register vCenter using an SSO account. (eg: administrator@vsphere.local or cloudadmin@vmc.local, etc.).

Browse to your TCA-M 9443 UI and go to Configuration -> vCenter.

Re-enter the credentials correctly. Then browse to Appliance Summary tab and restart the 'Web Service' and 'Application Service'.

Give it around 3 to 4 minutes post that. It should work fine after that.

Login to TCA 443 UI using the SSO credentials (and not root) post this.

andbos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much 🙂 That was indeed the problem. Now I'm able to execute workflows and they are of course visible in vRO client as well.

andbos_0-1697637766653.png

Best regards,
Andreas

0 Kudos