VMware Communities
jachintya20
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Common reasons why your TKG management cluster upgrade or creation is failing due to compatibility?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jachintya20
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I was trying attempting to create/upgrade the TKG k8s management cluster via TCA 2.1 UI in production environment as well as in the test lab, but always hit a roadblock with this error message:

"Failed to create cluster: Reason: compatibility file (/root/.config/tanzu/tkg/compatibility/tkg-compatibility.yaml) already exists, skipping download".

BOM files inside /root/.config/tanzu/tkg/bom already exists, skipping download

Having the right compatibility file can be crucial for a successful TKG cluster deployment.

In this case, the failure of this was due to an issue with the tkg-compatibility image and bom yaml file already existing on the runner, preventing a new download from occurring and giving error in cluster creation.

To avoid such issues in the future, it is important to clean up any existing files that might interfere with new downloads.

I had logged in to TCA-CP as a root and cleaned up below file.

~/.config/tanzu/tkg/compatibility/tkg-compatibility.yaml

~/.config/tanzu/tkg/bom/*

For safekeeping just moved above file to /home/ and re-trigger the TKG mgmt cluster creation/upgrade.

As I have removed the existing old compatibility file and bom files, cluster creation or upgrade process automatically download the latest compatibility file and my management cluster was created successfully without compatibility and bom issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jachintya20
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I was trying attempting to create/upgrade the TKG k8s management cluster via TCA 2.1 UI in production environment as well as in the test lab, but always hit a roadblock with this error message:

"Failed to create cluster: Reason: compatibility file (/root/.config/tanzu/tkg/compatibility/tkg-compatibility.yaml) already exists, skipping download".

BOM files inside /root/.config/tanzu/tkg/bom already exists, skipping download

Having the right compatibility file can be crucial for a successful TKG cluster deployment.

In this case, the failure of this was due to an issue with the tkg-compatibility image and bom yaml file already existing on the runner, preventing a new download from occurring and giving error in cluster creation.

To avoid such issues in the future, it is important to clean up any existing files that might interfere with new downloads.

I had logged in to TCA-CP as a root and cleaned up below file.

~/.config/tanzu/tkg/compatibility/tkg-compatibility.yaml

~/.config/tanzu/tkg/bom/*

For safekeeping just moved above file to /home/ and re-trigger the TKG mgmt cluster creation/upgrade.

As I have removed the existing old compatibility file and bom files, cluster creation or upgrade process automatically download the latest compatibility file and my management cluster was created successfully without compatibility and bom issue.

0 Kudos