VMware Communities
rvnath
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how to install a guest OS (windows7) on a virtual machine

Dear friends,

I have installed ESXi 4.1 on a system (AMD64).  I am able to connect to ESXi host from vsphere client on a laptop.

I created a virtual machine for windows 7.  Screenshot attached. As can be seen from the screenshot, I created a virtual disk for windows7, which is shown as "[datastore2] Windows7/Windows7.vmdk".

After this point, I am not clear about the next step on how to install windows7 on the virtual machine.

- I assume, I have to reboot the ESXi host, with a windows7 CD, which I did.

- After a couple of screens it shows the list of partitions, as shown in the two screenshots.  But none of the partitions show the virtual disk I created and allocated using vsphere client.  In vsphere i created a virtual disk file of size 256 GB (maximum allowed, though I have 1 TB  * 2 disks), hoping that I would find this 256GB as a partition, on which I can install windows.

- But I don't find a relevant partition of 256GB.

Am I doiing it the right way?

Is there a special method for installing an OS on a virtual disk file?

thanks in advance and regards,

RV

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It depends on your needs. With ESXI which does not allow direct access to the VMs (as you already found out) you will usually have the best performance and reliability. If you need to use the host and run the VMs as part of it, then you may want to take a look at products like VMware Workstation or VMware Player which install on top of an OS (Windows or Linux).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Think virtual, not physical. Smiley Wink

After creating the virtual machine, attach either the CD/DVD drive or an ISO file to the VM's virtual CD/DVD drive in the VMs settings. Then open the VM's console in the vSphere Client and boot the VM.

André

0 Kudos
rvnath
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre!  I should have guessed it Smiley Happy.  The install is happening now.

I am even more confused now.  The point is that I am accessing the VM console from laptop and doing the install.  So, once I load the OS, does it mean I have to access the OS also from laptop, or can I directly work from ESXi host??

Actually, I bought a highend desktop for the purpose of running dual (or 3) OS's on it.  I don't want to use a laptop to start VM's or access the virtual OS's.  I just want to do everything from the desktop.

Am I heading in the right direction? Or should I just install a Linux on the desktop and put a guest OS on top of it, instead of ESXi?

Thanks for your support...

regards

RV

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It depends on your needs. With ESXI which does not allow direct access to the VMs (as you already found out) you will usually have the best performance and reliability. If you need to use the host and run the VMs as part of it, then you may want to take a look at products like VMware Workstation or VMware Player which install on top of an OS (Windows or Linux).

André

0 Kudos
rvnath
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, it means even the access to VM's is from a remote machine Smiley Sad ?

I was thinking it provides a direct access from the same terminal to run / switch-between multiple OS's just like one does with a VMware WS or Player.  I would love to see such a thing happening in future.  Otherwise, for now I will uninstall ESXi and then just go with guest OS and host OS kind of configuration.

regards,

RV

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I would love to see such a thing happening in future.

Well, "Never say Never", but I doubt that you will see this in ESXi. ESXi is primarily made to consolidate server workloads and to provide virtual desktops. Basically guests for which direct access to the console is not needed. The main purpose is to provide a stable and performant Hypervisor (the OS itself is only ~90 MB in size).

André

0 Kudos