VMware Communities
0ccs3
Contributor
Contributor

how to add an external hdd?

How to add an external hdd?
I have a hardrive that I should add to see in a virtual win7 created by wmvare?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

VMware is the name of the company, not the name of a product.
Please let us know which product and version you are using.

André

0 Kudos
0ccs3
Contributor
Contributor

Gigabyte GA-PH67-DS3-B3

WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 (2794 GB)

VirtualBox 6,1,18 r.....

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VirtualBox is not a VMware product, but one from Oracle.

Anyway, afaik to attach an external device to a VirtualBox VM, you'd add an USB controller to the VM, and from there you can select devices that you want to mount to the VM.

André

0 Kudos
0ccs3
Contributor
Contributor

then that can be added with vware?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VMware Workstation supports multiple external devices. See Using Removable Devices and Printers in Virtual Machines for details.

André

0 Kudos
0ccs3
Contributor
Contributor

But it's just Connecting USB Devices to Virtual Machines and not hardrive (HDD)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How do you connect the external HDD to your host?

André

0 Kudos
0ccs3
Contributor
Contributor

SATA-II

WDC WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You still haven’t said which VMware product you are thinking of using (or are already using) - that’s like posting on a Microsoft forum and not saying that you are asking about an Xbox, Word, Azure, Hyper-V, a Surface Pro, and so on...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
0ccs3
Contributor
Contributor

6.1.18r1421452(Qt5.6.2)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Your initial question was "How to add an external hdd?", and now you are saying that it is connected via SATA II, which is more of an internal connection?

Please explain exactly what you have, and what you are trying to achieve.

André

0 Kudos
0ccs3
Contributor
Contributor

So the problem is the following ...
I have a 3TB disk that ran a windows7.
A program was running on this system that handled the part over 2 TB, as this was the only way to access it.
This disk had a windos 10 update that broke down.
Therefore, win10 is running from another disk.
So I thought that with an emulated win7 if I can insert the disk in question then maybe I can access that missing part.

thx

OccsE

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which VMware product has version 6.1.18r1421452(Qt5.6.2)??

If you are using VirtualBox, try posting here instead: https://forums.virtualbox.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
0ccs3
Contributor
Contributor

The primary question here is whether or not the VWARE system can solve this problem...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I think it actually depends on the software/driver that was used to access the third TB. IMO it's more a question of that software's capabilities, rather than using the disk in a virtual, or physical environment.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which VMware product?

Workstation? ESXi? Fusion? Another one?

You still haven’t specified.

0 Kudos
howard164
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

Did you have a fix on this issue? Facing same issue but no response from anyone and couldn't find this topic troubleshooting in google!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We still don't know which actual product is being referred to or being asked about.

0 Kudos