VMware Communities
Thibault
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vsphere VirtualCenter cluster remove

I would like to move ESX clusters from one VirtualCenter to another. I have been one-by-one vmtioning vm's from one ESX server to the others in the cluster. I thne put the host in maintenance mode and move the host out of cluster and then vmotion VM back onto it and then remove from VC. Can I simply just right click on a cluster and choose "remove" - it sounds like the cluster will be removed and the host within the cluster removed. I would then add those host to the new VC. with all of the vm's.   Is that how that function would work? or am I missing something?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

not if you disconnect the host first. If the host is in a disconnected state, you do not need to put it in maintenance mode.  You cannot remove a host if it is in a connected state.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you could right click on the host, disconnect and then remove the host from one vCenter.  From there, in your new vCenter instance, add host.  This will bring the host and all it's guest, with no downtime into the new enviornment.

If you use folders (VM&Templates), you'll need to create the new folders and move the VM's into their respective folders.

0 Kudos
Thibault
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Won 't it tell me that a host needs to be in maint mode first?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

not if you disconnect the host first. If the host is in a disconnected state, you do not need to put it in maintenance mode.  You cannot remove a host if it is in a connected state.

0 Kudos
Thibault
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That sounds good. I will check that out shortly. thanks

0 Kudos
Thibault
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked perfectly..thanks