VMware Communities
GeoPerkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Community <community-noreply@vmware.com> email being detected as spam

We use Mimecast to filter out spam and other unwanted email. Mimecast currently is rating all community email as junk. I am bringing this to the attention of the moderators so that you can ask your email infrastructure team to pursue improving VMware's email reputation (validity, reliability).

Here is a screenshot from Mimecast's reputation filter:

Mimecast.png

0 Kudos
10 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Same thing is happening with Gmail.

0 Kudos
GeoPerkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do we get VMware Communities moderators to take notice and escalate this?

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

I don't really know.

Maybe @depping  or @a_p_  can point us in the right direction?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I will email the VMTN team about it!

0 Kudos
JuliaVMTN
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for flagging it. 

I have Khoros Support and VMware IT looking into this. I will give you an update as soon as we have some answers. 

Best, 

0 Kudos
JuliaVMTN
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just giving an update on this: 

It is happening because the emails are coming from a external domain (Khoros, in this case) that is not authorized to send emails as @VMware.com. But I have VMware IT and Khoros working together to make changes, and hopefully, this issue will cease soon, 

Thank you for your patience! 

GeoPerkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mimecast is still blocking all community emails.

I am receiving VMware support emails. So it isn't the entire @VMware.com domain that is blocked; just the community.

0 Kudos
JuliaVMTN
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for observing it. 

You are correct! This happens because the emails from community-noreply@vmware.com are sent by a vendor (Khoros) instead of directly from VMware. However, we have been working closely with VMware IT to address the issue by including us.khoros-mail.com, in the SPF record for the new domain. As of now, the case is still open with both Khoros Technical Support and VMware IT,  I am hopeful that we will be able to find a resolution to this issue soon. 

Best, 

0 Kudos
GeoPerkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still bouncing all community-noreply@vmware.com emails. Khoros apparently has no clue how to provide an email relay service. VMware should drop them and find an email distribution service that understands the technology. How embarrassing for all concerned!

Look today how Mimecast (email reputation filtering service) is parsing the us.khoros-mail.com relayed mail!  It is listed as coming from Microsoft.  LOL.  Screenshot: 

mimecast.jpg

The problem here is that Khoros is apparently confusing Microsoft and VMware and confusing 'Envelope' vs 'Header' FROM fields. Very sloppy. Besides the incorrect SPX records.

difference-envelope-header 

Kind of difficult to feel that VMware is serious about support and community when this situation has been going for over a month.

Envelope says Microsoft.

Email from says VMware.

SPX record says Khoros.

0 Kudos
JuliaVMTN
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi George, 

I understand how frustrating this can be, and I appreciate your patience as we work toward a solution. I can ensure we have been actively working with VMware IT and Khoros IT and monitoring the situation closely to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. And we just need to take a few steps more to have this solved. 

I will keep you updated as we work toward a resolution. 

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention and for your understanding. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Best regards,

Julia

0 Kudos