VMware Communities
asianflyer
Contributor
Contributor

VM

A virtual machine user downloaded a malicious software onto his virtual machine (VM). It started to infect the whole VM and prevented the user from doing anything as the keyboard seemed to be disabled by the malicious software. What would be the best way to solve the problem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Restore the VM from backup and re-train the user plus implement some (or better) anti-malware software.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@asianflyer 

Moderator: Please state which VMware product you are using, and create threads in the area for that product where possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@asianflyer 

This is a guest OS security issue, therefore the answer depends on whatever OS you have running in the VM - your only hope from a VMware perspective is that you have a backup or snapshot of the VM from before when the software was downloaded.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If this is a VM running on VMware Fusion then it could also be something else as malware.
Down there macOS has to allow you to use the keyboard and pass it to the guest OS.

For example:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Keyboard-and-Mouse-not-working-in-VMWare...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos