VMware Communities
Mr__Bromden
Contributor
Contributor

Traffic in Virtual Switch

Hello there,

I would appreciate if someone can shed some light on the query I have.

We have VI 3.0.1 Built 32039. There are 4 VMs on this host, two of which are the case of this thread. One of this servers is a Intranet for the company and it runs IIS 6. Every time a user logs in the web page of the Intranet site is loaded authomatically. The data for the web pages is kept on a second Windows 2003 server, running SQL 2005. All VMs on that particular host are configured to use physical adaptors NIC4 and NIC2. I want to find out the following. When the IIS server requests data from the SQL server, does the network traffic between both servers is kept internally, i.e. confined to the host, or leaves the host environment, goes to the physical switches that it is connected to and then travels back to intended destination?

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kandalf
Contributor
Contributor

Are the 2 machines on different subnets since one is a web server (front End) and the other the database server(back end)?

If they are then it will typically go to their default gateways that sit on a switch.

If they are on the same subnet (Vlan ) then they should only communicate between themselves.

0 Kudos