VMware Communities
gary6
Contributor
Contributor

Running VM Fusionware and Windows 10 from an external drive

Good evening. I am having an issue running VM Fusion 11.5 with Windows 10. I am currently getting a message 
(photo attached) that states I do not have enough physical memory to power on the virtual machine with its configured setting. The programs are being run on a MacBook Pro (13 inch, 2016, 4 Thunderbolt ports). Current OS system is macOS Big Sur 11.4. It is a MacBook Pro 13.2. It has a 3.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 with 16GB of memory. It has a 500 GB SSD internal drive.

This is the first time I have tried to open the virtual machine since installing Big Sur. It will not run due to the aforementioned message about not enough physical memory.

Could I install VM Fusion and Windows on an external hard drive and run the programs from there? Or does anyone have other suggestions.

I appreciate any input.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You must run Fusion 12 on Big Sur, due to changes Apple made in their OS, no earlier version of Fusion allows you to power on any VM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
gary6
Contributor
Contributor

So if I update to Fusion 12, that will solve the problem?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the only thing stopping your VM running is because you're trying to run Fusion 11 on Big Sur, yes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos