VMware Communities
101nami
Contributor
Contributor

One host in the cluster reports direct-access LUN is not accessible when trying to VMotion

I have a vSPhere 4.1 cluster with a vm that has an RDM to a SAN LUN.  I accidentally removed access to the LUN from Unishpere.  After I added the LUN back to the Storage Group in Unisphere, the server could again see the LUN, however, the other two ESXi hosts did not see the LUN properly.  I removed the RDM from the vm a couple times, but the original ESXi host was the only one that could run the vm without complaining the Virtual disk 'hard disk 2' is a mapped direct-access LUN that is not accessible.  The vm was operating properly on the original ESXi host, but I could not vmotion to either of the other two ESXi hosts in the cluster.  When I browse the datastore, I can still see the first two RDM config files and the third one currently in use, computername_3.vmdk.  Is it necessary for me to remove those other two files?  They all reference the same LUN I tried to re-add in order to resolve the situation.  I then powered down the vm and removed it from inventory.  After I added it to inventory, only the two ESXi hosts that were NOT the original ESXi host where the vm lived when I removed the RDM LUN in my SAN config software, can successfully host the vm.  Now the original host where the vm resides sports the same message about inaccessible LUN.

I have also tried rebooting, disconnecting/reconnecting the host from the cluster, removing the host from the cluster and re-adding it and I still have the same problem.  The host in question does see the LUN on the same LUN number (8) as it was originally mapped.  The way I currently sit, the vm can only live on two out of the three hosts in the cluster.

0 Kudos
0 Replies