VMware Communities
chaitanya0
Contributor
Contributor

Newer version of import-export-tool-8.1.2-12686166.jar

I am currently using a JAR file downloaded (a couple of years ago) from VmWare, called the "Import-export SRM tool".
I am using it with the below command, on a Windows system, on which Java 1.8 is installed and JAVA_HOME is correctly set.

java -jar ./tools/import-export-tool-8.1.2-12686166.jar export format

When run with the above command, the Java program prompts me for the IP address of the Lookup Service, and for a few other details of the SRM instance, and successfully generates an SRM configuration export XML file.

However, the above JAR file uses log4j 1.x, which has known vulnerabilities.

To avoid these vulnerabilities, I was looking for newer versions of this JAR file on VmWare website, and could find and download the file import-export-tool-8.5.0.jar on this page 

I ran this import-export-tool-8.5.0.jar file with the below command:

java -jar ./tools/import-export-tool-8.5.0.jar --export --format

The above command, however, fails with the below exception:

Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/vmware/srm/client/topology/client/view/availability/PairSetup
        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2701)
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetMethodRecursive(Class.java:3048)
        at java.lang.Class.getMethod0(Class.java:3018)
        at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Class.java:1784)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.validateMainClass(LauncherHelper.java:650)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:632)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.vmware.srm.client.topology.client.view.availability.PairSetup
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:387)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:418)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:352)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:351)
        ... 7 more

From the above error, it appears to me that the import-export-tool-8.5.0.jar file can run only on the system that has SRM installed.

However, I need to be able to run it from a plain Windows system that merely has Java 1.8 installed (I am able to do that with my older import-export-tool-8.1.2-12686166.jar file)

Can someone help me please ?
To summarize, I need a newer version of import-export-tool-8.1.2-12686166.jar file that does not use log4j 1.x, and which I can run from a plain Windows system that has only Java 1.8 installed. My SRM instance is of version 8.5

Thanks in advance.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies