VMware Communities
ToreUthus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lost contact with Vmware host - Virtuell servers still running

Hi.

I've lost conntact with one om mye VM hosts. I've tried to restart the managment services, but the consoll on the VMhost has stopped responding.

I guess the only solution is to restart the VMhost.

But before that i want to shutdown every virtuell server thats running on the VMhost..

If the VMhost fail to start again, how can i get the vm's to start on another VMhost?

Tried to look around but haven't found anything.

I'm running ESXi 4.1

Any clues anyone?

Regards Tore

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are the VM's located on shared storage? In this case you can always add the VM's to the inventory of another host by right clicking the vmx file in the Datastore Browser.

Regarding the issue you have:

• When you say the console stopped responding, did you work directly on the host's console (DCUI) or did you remote to it (SSH ...).
  • What error do you get when you try to connect to the host's IP address with the vSphere Client?
  • Can you ping the management IP address of the host at all?

André

ToreUthus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi.

Yes, VM's are located on a shared storage.

I'l check that out.

I try to work directly on the console (HP ILO). But it just hangs both in th "GUI" interface an the command prompt.

The error I get is:

Comm error.JPG

Yes, I can ping the mangment IP from another VMhost.

Regards

Tore

0 Kudos
ToreUthus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi again.

Tried to add the vmx file but got the following answer:

vmx error.JPG

I havn't shut down the "defekt" VM-host yet.

It contains still some running servers and cant be shut down before later tonight.

Regards

Tore

0 Kudos
ToreUthus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FYI.

When I powered off the problematic host last night, all of the vm's on that VM-host started migrating over to the other VM-hosts that we have.

All vm's that were shut down bootet automaticly, and all ended well.

Regards

Tore

0 Kudos
mila30
Contributor
Contributor

It is good to know that everything went well for you.  Thank you for sharing the updates of your progress.  It help in a way that we can take note and know what to do if ever it will happen to us http://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/1.gif

0 Kudos