VMware Communities
CO54
Contributor
Contributor

Installing SBS 2011 on a VM in ESXi 4.1 Update 1 stalls

I'm trying to install SBS 2011 on a vm in ESXi 4.1 Update 1 and the installations hangs.  It gets to a point during "Completing Installation" but never completes.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

what about your physical host? Does it support Intel-VT? Did you configure "Windows Server 2008 R2" as the guest OS when you created the VM?

Please provide as much details about your setup as possible.

André

0 Kudos
CO54
Contributor
Contributor

The physical host is a Dell PE T410, brand new, no OS installed.  In BIOS I enabled virtualization.  I installed ESXi 4.1.0 Update 1 on the physical host.  I created the vm, burned the SBS 2011 std disks to ISO files and uploaded them to the vm to install.  The installation starts and then hangs.

Doug Leigh

Message was edited by: a.p. - removed email signature

0 Kudos
wtfmatt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We run 4.1U1 on a bunch of PE T410's as well, so its almost certainly not your host/esx causing the problem.  Without a ton more details it's hard to diagnose exactly what is causing a 'stall' but i'm going to go out on a limb and say that your image is the problem.

Either it didn't burn to iso correctly, or the iso itself is actually faulty..

You didn't answer the question about selecting Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 as the guest operating system, but assuming you did I would try using another Windows .iso as a test and see if that works, should narrow down if your problem is the iso or your setup.

Other helpful information:

- Have you confirmed other iso's work fine (windows 2003, 2008, whatever)?

- Where is it 'stalling' - at what point in the setup exactly

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which guest OS did you select when you created the VM?

André

PS: Be careful with email relies. I just removed your email signature (address, phone, mail) from the last post.

0 Kudos
CO54
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to add that I set the disk size to 460 GB.

Doug Leigh

Message was edited by: a.p. - removed email footer

0 Kudos
CO54
Contributor
Contributor

I did not select Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 as the guest OS because I’m trying to install Small Business Server 2011.  When I created the vm, for the OS I chose other, then other x64 bit.  Should I have chosen 2008 R2?

Thank you

Doug Leigh

0 Kudos
wtfmatt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try Windows 2008 R2 as the Guest OS.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

SBS 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2, that's why you need to select this OS as the guest OS.

André

0 Kudos
CO54
Contributor
Contributor

Other, and for the version, Other (64bit)

Doug Leigh

0 Kudos
CO54
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much.

Message was edited by:  AndreTheGiant - removed email footer

0 Kudos
CO54
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much

Doug Leigh

Message was edited by:  AndreTheGiant - removed email footer

0 Kudos
Tglant
Contributor
Contributor

Do not attach the USB key in the virtual server until the installer asks if you want to do a "clean install" or "migration".  If you are at the completing installation screen, you can remove the USB device from the VM and it will continue.  Re-attach it when it gets to the install screen.

0 Kudos
warriorfullight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Will it not cause any problem if you just remove the USB device unless the installation say so? It is a sort of trick to by pass the installation process? http://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/1.gif

0 Kudos
Tglant
Contributor
Contributor

No.  It just needs to read the SBSAnswerfFile.xml file.  Once it does that the installation will continue without the USB.

0 Kudos