VMware Communities
vivekY
Contributor
Contributor

High CPU usage when using VMware

Hello,

I've installed an application in VMware and made it to connect with another server for communication.
This application, for every 3 minutes, tries to establish a connection with that server.
But the problem I'm facing is that, the application tries to establish a connection to the server at the other end even when it is down.
As a result, slowly when time progress, the CPU utilization spikes up making the application to hang.
It is also to be noted that I'm encountering this problem only when the application is installed over VMware.

Please let me know about the root cause of this problem and do suggest me how to overcome it.

Thanks,
Vivek Y.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

we can't help much (from vmware level) if it's due to the way how to application retries and then become a loop that uses alot of CPU resources. in addition to that, does assigning more vCPU help? (just a wild try).

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Seems a little strange that you problem is unique to a VM installation?

Does CPU usage progressively get higher, or does it spike and drop back down each time?

Do any other resources have issues (memory  / disk read / write etc?)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
vivekY
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.  Only CPU usage is going progressively higher and at one point of time the application gets hanged.

0 Kudos
warriorfullight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It might be possible that some program on your computer triggers your CPU usage to rise up when you are using VMware. Sometimes, it depends on compatibility that makes your computer run slow.

0 Kudos