VMware Communities
JHerrickLHM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP ProLiant DL160 - Cannot create datastore with local storage (controller, not RAID)

Hello All. I appreciate your time and comments.

Using VMware ESXi (initially), the install (VMware ESXi 5.5.0, 1331820) goes fine (install to USB flash). Able to get into the vSphere Client console, all appears normal. Any attempt to use local storage, however, is met with this error message: http://i.imgur.com/40ySsOS.png

"A specified parameter was not correct. Vim.Host.DiskPartitionInfo.spec" - 'Call "HostStorageSystem.ComputerDiskPartitionInfo" for object "storageSystem" on ESXi "<ip address>" failed.

I have attempted both the base install (from VMware) disc and the HP "Custom" install disc (from HP). Both have the same issue: all installs, but the local disks - while seen - aren't able to be used as local storage. They worked just fine (prior incarnation was as Server 2003 file server, no issues reported\noticed). This is not in-warranty, its going to be used as a lab server. All else seems to function well.

Specifics:

HP DL160 G6

Storage Adapter: ICH10 6-port SATA AHCI Controller

Disks: 3G 7200 MDL 500GB

Both controller and disks are seen by system: http://i.imgur.com/3PAKQHL.png

Can someone point me in the right direction about what to go for here? Searches on the error messages don't lead to much help. I'll be searching more in the meantime. I'd be grateful.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This could be an issue with the current data on the disk. I'd suggest you cleanup the partition info using the DD method explained at VMware KB: Troubleshooting the Add Storage Wizard error: Unable to read partition information from t... to see whether this solves the issue.

André

View solution in original post

2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This could be an issue with the current data on the disk. I'd suggest you cleanup the partition info using the DD method explained at VMware KB: Troubleshooting the Add Storage Wizard error: Unable to read partition information from t... to see whether this solves the issue.

André

JHerrickLHM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was it. Thank you. Specifically, this section:

Clearing partitioning information in ESXi using the DD utility

0 Kudos