VMware Modern Apps Community
gerardotapia
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere with Tanzu 8 "Configuring host nodes" error

Hi! i just upgrade my VMware infrastructure to vSphere 8 and configured vsphere tanzu 8 again. When configured the cluster, my configuration still in the same state with the first cluster node for the last hours:

"Installed and Started Kubernetes Node Agent on the ESXi Host API request to VMware vCenter Server (vpxd) failed. Details 'An error occurred during host configuration: /usr/sbin/esxupdate returned with exit status: 7.'"

gerardotapia_0-1683655561287.png

Search in web but dont see nothing about this error. Any idea?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
airwin1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Also having the same issues with my lab, did you ever find a solution? @gerardotapia 

0 Kudos
gerardotapia
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately Not find any solution, so the only option was reinstall ESXI on the host and configure again the supervisor cluster...

0 Kudos
airwin1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

After doing some more digging, I found these messages in esxupdate.log on my ESXi hosts:

023-05-12T22:12:17Z Er(11) esxupdate[1062071]: esximage.Errors.VibDownloadError: ('https://vcenter.anthony.com:443/wcp/spherelet/k8s-1.24/spherelet.vib', None, "('https://vcenter.anthony.com:443/wcp/spherelet/k8s-1.24/spherelet.vib', '', '<urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>')")

Figured it had to be a DNS issue at that point. Turns out DNS was not set correctly on the ESXi hosts. Once I updated it with the following commands, I was good:

esxcli network ip dns server add --server=192.168.1.185
esxcli network ip dns server remove --server=8.8.8.8

Sounds like you already reinstalled ESXi, sorry I couldn't help before you did that. Hope it's all working without issues now.

Steakzilla
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks airwin1!  This fixed my issue.  Still wondering why I only got this error on 2 out of 4 ESXI hosts.  They were all configured with DHCP and should have gotten the DNS servers when getting their IPs...

0 Kudos
sawkyawnaingwai
Contributor
Contributor

Hi airwin1

I aslo check DNS it is fine but still stuck on that state.

Thank

0 Kudos