VMware Modern Apps Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

TKG Management-Cluster troubleshooting

Hi,

I have vSphere with Tanzu enabled running on vSphere dvSwitch. I used this to enable TKG and deployed Tanzu Kubernetes Clusters.

I think this is referred to as the TKG Service

Now I want to try TKG standalone, how can I verify that the Management-Cluster has been installed correctly as I am getting the attached errors:

I think this is referred to TKGm (m for multicloud)

I must say that these very similar terminologies are confusing and its not clear to me what differences exists between these and when one should enable vSphere with Tanzu and TKG Service vs installing TKGm along with Supervisor Clusters vs Management Clusters all within a vSphere environment.

andvm_0-1644140268365.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kendrickcoleman
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @andvm,

There are multiple ways to make sure your TKG management cluster is installed properly. Are you properly able to use tanzu login and authenticate against it? If not, I would try the setup once again. Please make sure you're using the latest TKG 1.5.3 as well. 

Yes, these are similar services and they were created in parallel. vSphere with Tanzu (using TKG Service) has a more native feel for vSphere. TKG was made for multi-cloud purposes. Each uses the same open source technology called Cluster API to do cluster lifecycle management. It's smart to be playing with both of them as each offer different advantages today. However, that gap will close and we will have a single unified TKG in the future. For the sake of running pre-production and production-ready workloads on vSphere, I would recommend sticking with vSphere with Tanzu. If there are certain features you need with TKG such as a more flexible architecture or Windows container support, then you can look at implementing TKG. This is a confusion we at VMware have caused and are working to remediate it. 

0 Kudos