VMware Cloud Community
tsondo
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi via SSH

First, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. There does not seem to be a right place.

I am trying to access and check some settings on my ESXi 6.5 hosts via SSH, for which I need admin access. I am at a remote site and do not have access to DCUI.

I was able to create a local account using vsphere, and I can SSH to the box using that account. In vsphere, I have set that account to be an administrator, but on the ESXi hosts it still has no rights. I cannot SU or sudo. I cannot run any commands other than, for example, ls or vi, but everything is read only. Lockdown mode is disabled, and the account is in the exceptions list anyway.

Without the ability to SU or sudo, how can I make this account usable? Do I need to get someone at the main site to log in via DCUI to give the new account the rights it needs, or to enable SSH via root which would also work?

Alternatively, does anyone know how to submit a ticket to Federal Support? The customer connect site only takes me in a loop offering descriptions of the Federal support, but with no actual functionality to actually get support. Phoning the support line results in a loop where it asks for, then confirms, my customer number over and over without connecting me to anyone.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've reported your thread, asking moderators to move it to the ESXi Discussions area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
AshwaniVm1
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Host disconnecting issue and support bundle creation error

My SID No.2014721

Can you conform it

0 Kudos