VMware Cloud Community
marx32490
Contributor
Contributor

storage vmotion to SSD but host HDD

Dear community,

I have a VM virtualized on host (host has hdd) and I cannot migrate it. I would just like to run vmotion storage to my ssd SAN. Would this allow me to have actual improvements or, since the VM would remain virtualized on host with hdd would it not benefit?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your duplicate thread in an area for a security advisory has been reported, expect it to disappear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
robc_yk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not following the question totally. But in general terms, if your VM requires IOPS that the host HDD can not provide than an SSD may help. SSD disks can often provide a large increase to the disk access performance, especially if the attached HBA's are better performing.

0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Regarding this part of your question "I have a VM virtualized on host (host has hdd) and I cannot migrate it" are you getting an error when trying to vMotion the VM? Have you been able to vMotion VM's from this host in the past?

0 Kudos
MHennekens
Contributor
Contributor

a VM is running from memory on the Host. If the Host OS is installed on the HDD and the VM on SSD, you will get SSD performance for the VM. SO if you have a SAN connected with SSD disks, perform a storage vmotion for the VM to the SAN to get the SSD performance you are looking for.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Iam just Guessing... svMotion and enhanced svMotion.

A Essentials Plus can migrate a VM from one Host to another and change datastore the same time, but youre not allowed to change the datastore only when the VM stays on that host. To solve around you need to perform a cold migration which means the VM have to powered off.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos