VMware Cloud Community
marc2510
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

pcoip performance

Hello all,

Im hoping somone would be able to give me some help!

I have 30 igel terminals (M300c) all running pcoip each terminal has a 1gb link.

then a 2gb trunk to the Server

the server that the VM's are located is a:

HP ProLiant DL380 G5

CPU Cores      8cpu x 2.999Ghz - Xeon x5450 @ 3.00Ghz

RAM     32GB

the issue i have is that the users are needing to run videos and sound simultaneously but the performance just is not good enough and users are starting to moan! :smileyangry:

i had attached the logs i think are needed i have gone through them but unless i really know what im looking for im kinda stuck;

Im starting to feel its the teminals that are the issue;

if you need anymore info let me know

Thanks in advanced

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEVAXTATOR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes.. the software compresion is just software compression...

hardware compression uses the cpu of the server but if the client is not a true pcoip zero client it will not performe as such.

example login to the vmware client and do a rdp session in a igel and it will lag like there is no tomorow

do the same in a samsung or a evga (i just have those clients sorry) and they will perform and there will be no lag.

p.s. if this post was helpfull please rate as such thank you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DEVAXTATOR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the problem is in the igel thin client it is not i repeat not a pcoip complaint client.

you need a zero client to do pcoip what you are doing is not pcoip...

try using anyone of http://www.teradici.com/pcoip/pcoip-products/product-search-results.php?vendor_id=0&category_id=2&fo...

i recomend using or a Samsung NC190 or a evga the're cheap and built to last and are EXACTLY like the Wyse P20.

but you did not provide this information:

version of the vmware view server.

version of the vsphere

how's the memory and cpu usage.

marc2510
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So although the client is using the pcoip protocol; because its software driven it just wont give me the performance?

Cheers for the info!

0 Kudos
DEVAXTATOR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes.. the software compresion is just software compression...

hardware compression uses the cpu of the server but if the client is not a true pcoip zero client it will not performe as such.

example login to the vmware client and do a rdp session in a igel and it will lag like there is no tomorow

do the same in a samsung or a evga (i just have those clients sorry) and they will perform and there will be no lag.

p.s. if this post was helpfull please rate as such thank you

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note that your host has to be able to handle it as well, and its CPU intensive.  An offload card like this can help: http://www.teradici.com/pcoip/pcoip-products/teradici-apex-2800.php

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
marc2510
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well it seems im kinda stuck with these igels for the time being, unfortunately working in education and having budgets cuts all the time...

I wonder if its worth investing in a offload card would it really benefit us here? also i could not find a price for them.

0 Kudos
Stu_Robinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Marc2510,

My name is Stuart Robinson, Director of Systems Engineering at Teradici.  My team provides support for PCoIP deployments including resolving issues that impact desktop performance.  

There are a number of factors that can impact video playback performance a

- Client PCoIP protocol decode capability

- Network issues

- View host server loading.  As mentioned in the thread, the Teradici APEX 2800 is something to consider as it will move the PCoIP encoding to hardware.  This will not help unless the server was limiting the video (I suspect the client is the limitation).

- Single vs dual vCPU (dual vCPU is required when watching >480p window)

- Video player - there are issues with various players (try a different player).  This is not related to PCoIP protocol, nor the client performance.

- Source video encoding - we have seen cases where the video encoding was poor - trying a different video on the same player can show significantly different performance results.  This is not related to PCoIP protocol.

I recommend looking at the CPU utilization on the igel clients - I suspect that it is max'd out (80% or higher).

Here are some thoughts after a quick look at your log - the log is short so there might be different recommendations with additional logs/information:

• Floor should not be set to 100,000.  This parameter should be disabled. 
  • Try setting the max initial image quality to 70 and the minimum image quality to 50
  • Client decode is likely the limitation.  See the log entry MGMT_IMG : log: which shows the client decode estimated at 2-4Mbit/s.  That indicates that the session bandwidth is being limited by the client decode performance.
  • The frame rate is quite low ~3 frames per second and since there is no obvious network issue (again more information would be needed for a full analysis) it appears that the client is the limitation.  Where the frame rate spikes to 20fps it is likely that the video window was small, or only a small region of the display was changing at the time.
  • Setting a frame rate limit can help a client with limited performance - but for the most part you are only getting 3 fps, so setting a limit won't help much on the video window size used for the logs you provided. 
  • Setting a limit on the audio bandwidth can help as well if there is a bandwidth limitation in the client network interface (physical hardware of 1Gb link does not equate to the bandwidth processing capability of the client) - I would suggest setting to 90kbps to start. But I would not expect it to make a significant difference in this case. This GPO is only in View 4.6 or newer.
  • I highly recommend using a smaller window for the video playback and set a frame rate limit somewhere between 8-12 fps.  You will need View 4.6 or newer for this GPO.  At 1024x768 displays and a client PCoIP decode rate of 3-4Mbps - I would think it would look a lot better at 1/3 screen video window, or maybe up to 1/2 screen video window with the audio limit (90kbps) and frame rate limit (10fps), max initial image quality 70, min image quality 50. 

Please feel free to open a ticket with Teradici on techsupport.teradici.com.  Its free to register.  My team can dig into the performance and solution recommendations in more detail.

DEVAXTATOR - thanks for your help on this thread!!

Regards,
Stu

0 Kudos
marc2510
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Stu,

Cheers for the reply and the advice i will be trying all of ther above!

Just a quick note i have just updated my igel M300C clients firmware (universal_desktop_4.09.100_public.zip)

This firmware uses View Client 5 and i have noticed that the option for PCOIP has now gone in the protocol list for the igel Smiley Sad

Cheers again Marc

0 Kudos