VMware Cloud Community
jklapperich
Contributor
Contributor

application performance baselining and testing

I am starting work on documentation of some standard methodology to do some performance testing in order to size a VM to run a specific in house developed application. This app is going to have a large number of instances running so we are trying to get some detailed data about where the sweet spot between application performance and VM density (as a function of utalized resources) is so that we can build a "farm" of these systems that will do it's job well but hopefully won't take over the Data Center.

From my experience I have a pretty good handle on gathering the performance metrics for the VM Guest it self and understing what those Guest level metrics mean through vCenter and esxtop. The part that I'm a little unsure about is gathering application level metrics from within the Guest itself. We do have some standard perfromance tools that we would use to acomplish this in a physical environment but I'm a little warry of their acuracy when running inside a Guest to identify performance metrics down to a process or thread level.

I'm curious as to peoples experience with doing something like this and if they can point me to any tools or best practices that can be reliable in getting good results for this kind of thing.

Currently we are running esx 3.5 but eventually will be upgrading to vSphere 4 so at this point I'm just looking for general methods and tools rather than a specific solution.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
msatya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

please let us know what tools you are using now

-------------------------
please award points if you see fit.Thanks

http://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/vbsmile.png

0 Kudos