VMware Cloud Community
sw54603
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Center to ESX hosts network traffic

Planning out ESX server deployment, we are considering using an existing Virtual Center located across the WAN from 2 soon to be installed ESX servers. Each host is planned to have 4 to 6 VMs. Rather than go into how much bandwidth we have across the WAN, I'd like to know how much & what kind of traffic is generated between Virtual Center/Virtual Infrastructure and ESX server hosts.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The vast majority of data flowing from the ESX servers to your VC server will be soley perfomance data that VC will store -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sw54603
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone else running VC across a WAN? Can the bandwidth/amount of data be throttled or controlled?

Can anyone offer advise on this?

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert

Hello,

We have centralized our Virtual Center server at our central datacenter in Denmark. We have a world wide MPLS network with servers in most european countries, China, Japan, Australia, USA, Brazil, Argentina etc. Some of the sites are only connected with 0,5mbps connection but most are at least 2mbps.

I have no clue how much data is actually transfered to the virtual center server over the wan, I just know that it works in our enviroment. The reason why I subscribed to this thread was actually to see if anyone knew how much bandwidth that

actually went from the ESX host to the Virtual Center server.

Best regards

Frank Brix Pedersen

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert

This doc might be of interest:

http://viops.vmware.com/home/docs/DOC-1144

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

Yeah I have worked in a large scale environment before with +- 180 ESX hosts worldwide using multiple VC's.

There where numerous VC servers in different locations managing ESX hosts in remote locations over the WAN via a VPN and this worked just fine.

Carl

0 Kudos
hardingp
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos