VMware Cloud Community
netanelpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VVOL limitation 1024 volumes can't be changed?

Hey,
I recently wanted to move from my VMFS 6 datastore to VVOL as my storage (HPE Nimble) supports it.
After confirming the integration between the vCenter and storage I now have a vvol datastore.

My problem is that after 230 vms I got to 1024 volumes and got an error that I've reached the maximum.

Looking online I didn't see a limitation for 1024 volumes on VVOL I'm wondering where that limit came from?

12ESXis 7.0.3 and vCenter on same version

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes. it's a per array limit on the HF models. You can have up to 1,000 per Nimble HF array regardless of the # of vVols datastores on it. So if you had 2 Nimble arrays you could support 2,000 vVols total, 1,000 per array. Note on Nimble we don't create extra vVols when you do snapshots so the # of vVols per VM is usually 3 (config, data & swap) unless you have additional disks on a VM.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi there,

What model Nimble array is it? On the hybrid models (non AF arrays) we only support 1000 vVols volumes, on the AF models we support 10,000 vVols.

Eric

0 Kudos
netanelpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey,
Array is part of the HF family so guessing that's why I have 1024 limit.
But is this limist for the array itself?  Can I open another vvol datastore and get more volumes?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Definitely not a limit on the vSphere side of things...

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes. it's a per array limit on the HF models. You can have up to 1,000 per Nimble HF array regardless of the # of vVols datastores on it. So if you had 2 Nimble arrays you could support 2,000 vVols total, 1,000 per array. Note on Nimble we don't create extra vVols when you do snapshots so the # of vVols per VM is usually 3 (config, data & swap) unless you have additional disks on a VM.

netanelpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for that info.
Doesnt work well with my many disks per vm environment got to the limit with 200 vms~.

0 Kudos