VMware Cloud Community
KatlegoTec
Contributor
Contributor

VMs lose of network when performing Storage vMotion

Hi All

I am new to VMware and have fundamental skill level. I needed to find out an issue I am running into, when it comes to vMotion.

Firstly we installed the new hosts, and run into network connectivity issue on all vms after they were migrated to new hosts, to solve this issue we had to disable the network card and then re-enabling it again and solved the challenge, thought it was a one time incident and that maybe since we were just migrating VMs a compute level, I didn't think much of it. But now we added new SAN and performed storage vMotion the same challenge came up. Could you please clarify for me what could be causing this? From what it seems, if we start a migration, whether it is on compute only, or storage only, we drop network on the VM’s.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mbufkin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you dedicate a seperate Network Adapter for vMotion? vMotion traffic should be on it's own network and adapter.

Here is a link to the Networking Best Practices for vSphere vMotion:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-7DAD15D4-7F41-...

KatlegoTec
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @mbufkin

Thank you let me try out best practices and will revert back to you.

mbufkin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks and good luck. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No need to create a second thread for the same issue, your duplicate has been reported to moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
depping
Leadership
Leadership

@scott28tt wrote:

No need to create a second thread for the same issue, your duplicate has been reported to moderators.

deleted the duplicate.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

It would be good to better explain what is happening, as I am not sure I understand.

1) Are you losing connectivity on a VM when the VM is migrated from one host to another?

--> typically caused by misconfigured STP: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003804

2) Are other VMs losing connectivity when a VM is migrated?

--> could be caused by the fact that ALL traffic is going across the same network

So we would need to have some more details to understand your issue.

KatlegoTec
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice again. There wasn't a dedicated vMotion adapter configured before. Now VMs migrated smoothly.

0 Kudos