VMware Cloud Community
msaquib
Contributor
Contributor

VM task manager shows 98-100% Utlization

Hello Everyone:

I am facing a issue in my one VM which is the most critical VM .Issue is that this is consuming 100% CPU utlization continously thats why it responds very slowly .

I have created this machine with Two vCPUs and 4 GB RAM using default configuration of limit ,shares and reservations but when i reciened this issue i have upgraded this machine and assigned two more vCPUs now it has four CPU but still it behave in a same manner,

One thing is very important that In vSphere or VC Client the CPU consumption is showing below 40 % but it shows 100 % in VM .

Please REPLY .....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welceom to the Forums - What is the configurtion of the ESX server it is running on? Check on the perfomance tab the CPU Ready graph - this is an indication of CPU Contention - in pther words this will tell you is your ESX server is having a problem scheduling CPUs - a quick way to check is drop your VM to single vCPU see how the perfomance is- because it is easier to schedule a single vCPU is there is contention than mutiple vCPUs - that is why best practice is to start with a single vCPU and add only if necessary -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
msaquib
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou Weinstein for responding.

ESX 4 is Dual Processor of Quad Core 2.66 GHz and it has only two VMs that is currently in running state.Note Second VM is working Nomrally.This ESX server is insatlled on a default configuration.

I have checked CPU Ready and CPU Performance Graph which is Attached here also Task manager of VM which is showing High Consumption of CPU.

Now I didnt chek this with lower down the qunatity of vCpu becoz it will take down time for any difficulty. Is this possible that Application doing vunlnerablity?

Waiting for Reply .

0 Kudos
mokymura
Expert
Expert

Hi

As Weinstein says, usually this behavior appears when the ESX is performing CPU contention. From your screen shots seems to be some high values of CPU Ready.

What's the configuration of the other box? is it critical also? What i will try is:

1.- IF second VM is not critical, power it off...and see how perform the critical one.

2.- Modify shares and give more shares to the critical box: in case of fight it will get the resources.

3.- Monitor deeply the ESX with the esxtop and check the %rdy value also....and the other CPU values to see any problem.

Regards

Si encuentras esta u otras respuesta útiles, por favor considera el asignar puntos seleccionando la respuesta como útil o correcta

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.

Si encuentras esta u otras respuesta útiles, por favor considera el asignar puntos seleccionando la respuesta como útil o correcta If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.
0 Kudos