VMware Cloud Community
sm7012
Contributor
Contributor

VM guest is set in VC as Windows 2003 Enterprise, but actually OS loaded is Windows 2003 Standard Edition

Does anyone know if there is any negative affect on the performance of a Virtual Machine if in Virtual Center the Guest OS shows it as a 2003 Enterprise server, but in reality the VM is really running Windows 2003 Standard edition ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

There shouldn't be since the interaction is the same - I can not remeber if you can change the O/S Tyoe while the VM is running - if you can go ahead - if not wait until the next reboot and chacge it util then should not be a problem -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

and you can actually change the VM name by editing the settings of the VM, going to the options tab and changing the version. Only catch is that it can only be changed while the VM is powered off.

I did this just the other day where I deployed a Vista VM, but had the version name as W2k8.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Does anyone know if there is any negative affect on the performance of a Virtual Machine if in Virtual Center the Guest OS shows it as a 2003 Enterprise server, but in reality the VM is really running Windows 2003 Standard edition ?

No. The setting is used to control the type of SCSI adapter that is initially provisioned and a couple other things. Since both W2K3 Std & W2K3 Ent are essentially the same OS, there's no problem (other than cosmetic).

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

TVAR Solutions, A Wells Landers Group Company

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos